Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,689   Online: 832

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Josy - Minolta XG-1

Hello Josy, I hope you were able to figure out the problem and shed some light on the subject as my XG-1 is doing the very same thing. New batteris, film loaded, button turned on...the b.c. doesn't work..
    anyway...here's hoping. Thanks

Josy05-03-2009, 09:35 AM
    I'm having problems with my Minolta XG-1, and I really hope someone could help me fix the problems.
    I have a Minolta XG-1, which hasn't been used for a long time. A little while ago I became interested in SLR photography so I decided to shoot some photos with it. Now, I've refreshed the batteries and I've put a new film in. I've set the settings to automatic and standard, but the film-advance lever won't go further than 30 degrees while it should go up to 130 degrees. In other words, the lever blocks and prevents me from advancing to the next photo. (Note: it's a new film and advancing from S to 1 (on the counter) is not possible).

The required batteries are A76, but I've read that you also could use a similar battery (like L1154, AG13, LR44). At the moment I'm using L1154 batteries.

I really hope that someone could help me because I look forward to shooting some nice pics with this nostalgic apparatus. :-P

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Need more info. Does the B. C. work? Is the mirror locked up? Are the curtains closed and properly aligned? Here are a few things you might try as it would be cheaper to replace than to repair.

1. Shutter curtains may be slightly misaligned. This one breaks the prime rule of fiddling inside the camera, that being 'Never Touch The Curtains'. Got an XG-1 this spring in lock up condition. After a couple of weeks waiting for the Rokkor Fairy to doink it into working order, I noticed the curtains slightly off. I pressed slightly on the outer curtain and it snapped over on spring tension. Pressed on the inner curtain and it shot over and the mirror slapped down.

2. Shutter remotely released in 'A' mode. Didn't know this would happen. Got a XG-1 this week as-is from ebay. Tested it and it functioned perfectly. But in the shutter cable socket testing I exposed in 'A' mode and the mirror locked up. Took the cable out. Locked. Moved the S/S dial through the range from 1000 to 1 and when I turned it to 'B' the mirror slapped down.

3. Faulty Timer. I would set it and trip the timer release button. The timer moved about two-thirds through the cycle and stopped. It did not have the tension to complete the cycle. Here's what you do.
    a. Insert the end of a paper clip into the shutter cable lug in the center of the shutter release button.
    b. While applying pressure into the lug so as to trip the shutter, work the film wind crank back and forth a couple of times.

4. Take a slender pair of needle nose pliers and VERY gently pull out the battery contact in the base of the body. Lack of tension could also be a culprit.

5. These checks could prove that you do not have a blown capacitor. Doable but a pain in the rumpus.

Enriching your Minolta experience, one piece of crap at a time.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Enriching your Minolta experience, one piece of crap at a time HA HA.
    Thank you Chris. You have some very helpful posts.

The B.C. does not work. The shutter curtains are aligned ( no gaps) and the take up spool moves freely. The battery chamber is clean and the contact was pulled up a bit following your suggestion. I have not tried my Pentax cable release on the Minolta.

As you know this camera is completely electronic. The film advance seems dependent on the battery as well. ( Please see original O.P).. I don't know what a blown capacitor looks like nor do I know where to look. The camera has another issue. The LED bar (I'm assuming) in in the middle of the viewfinder instead of on the bottom.( not sure as I really don't know what this slightly opaqe horizontal bar represents - as I'm not sure where the LED lights and or Meter indicators are normally placed / viewed within the viewfinder). This of course would make it difficult to focus. But if the camera worked I would consider getting the viewfinder issue checked out for a cost.

As such, the camera body is in excellent shape but I'm afraid it may be a lost cause. No one in Phoenix wants to go near a CLA for under $200. And no one will give a ballpark of repair. Which is asinine - at least give me a $100- 300.00 range. But no dice. I think I get a working camera from the big auction house 1/3rd of the time. I'm not expecting much ( light seals, scratches, social identifiers expected)...so I'm not out a lot of money but 2/3rd of my hobby cash allowance is down the drain.

Oh well, I have an XG-7 to try next. I wanted both as the Minolta XG-? was my first SLR purchase in the early 80"s... it was stolen in the late 80's and I was nostalgic for another. But I couldn't remember if it was the 1 or 7. I was gifted a SRT 101 (meter dead with new wien cell) which works ( a bit dusty,,,but a CLA is too much denerio)and I now have a Minolta 2xi.
    Thanks again for your input. I just hate to see these fine examples of ingenuity and engineering banished to the rubbish pile.

Too many Pentaxes, Minoltas, Kodaks etc. SLRs/ Folders/110's. and so little time. Ansel Adams' 1st 35mm was a Contax... please excuse me while I go to the chalk board and write "I do not need a 35mm Contax" 100 times.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Make sure the shutter curtain edges are completely out of view to the left. If you can see an edge, try pushing it over slightly and it might pop over and free things up. If not, yup, electrical. And doable by the way.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Focus No. 9;

A couple of things:

(1.) For a CLA, look also at Garry's Camera in Niles, Illinois. www.garryscamera.com Their normal quoted price for a CLA for the X Series of Minolta SLR cameras is on the order of $45.00. I think shipping may be extra.

(2.) While admitting that I have no experience with the problem occurring in an XG-1 or XG-7, I can tell you what happens when the shutter capacitor in an X-700 dies (and that is not really as often as many people like to think): With batteries in the camera, turn it on. Press down lightly on the shutter release button with the film advance lever lifted away from its stow position against the camera body. Look into the view finder and you will see that the red LED indications are on. Press down on the shutter release button to fire the shutter. If the mirror goes up, the shutter goes across, and the mirror comes back down, there is no problem. If nothing happens with the mirror and the shutter, and the red LED indicators go out, then there may be a problem with the shutter capacitor in the bottom of the camera. Turn the camera off. OK. Again, that is what an X-700 will do.

Garry's Camera also has experience with this type repair. If you are sending the camera to them for a CLA, most often they will do this simple repair for the additional cost of the parts, since they are going to be in there anyway for the CLA, and it is a very simple thing at that point to replace the offending capacitor.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you Ralph. I will check it out. Now that I have more Minoltas than Pentaxes I will have to change my club affiliation. : )

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why limit yourself? ;p
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Make sure the shutter curtain edges are completely out of view to the left. If you can see an edge, try pushing it over slightly and it might pop over and free things up. If not, yup, electrical. And doable by the way.
    Also make sure the contacts on the battery are clean. Use a pencil eraser on them. Ditto on the inside of the battery cover. Gently clean the contact in the camera with a swab barely moisted with some alcohol.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had the same problem with the same camera two years ago. However, nothing was wrong. It happened because I simply moved the film-advance lever approximately 30 degrees and then I stop it without any logical reason. When I tried to move the lever, it looked like it was not possible to move more. I carried the camera to repair but the person who was working in the store simply pushes the lever forward and it moved perfectly. I recommend you to try to move the lever carefully, and probably you will have your camera working perfectly.
    Henry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know this is an old thread but I came across it while looking for information on the same camera which I just bought in a charity shop. I put in new batteries after determining that the xg 1 won't even fire in B mode without power. Anyway camera still dead so I wiped battery chamber with Ipa. Still dead so a bit worried but with nothing to lose I gave the battery contacts and cover a good scraping with a screwdriver , ipa again batteries back in Mode ( I used 357 batteries, not exactly the right ones but they fit) and hey presto the camera sprang into life! And it's a nice little camera. The shutter isn't too loud or clunky for such a low end model and build quality is pretty good. So if you get a seemingly completely dead one of these it may well just need a good scrub in the battery chamber.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by BoxBrownie; 05-21-2012 at 12:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin