Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,462   Online: 896

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I was film based I used a large cooler (you could fit at least two 24 packs of beverage into it!) divided into compartments where I kept the film. I used B&W, color, 35mm & medium format. I brought with me zip lock bags to hold the exposed film. That's during the days when I would have an assistant just to manage the film process as well as handle lighting and other equipment. I had a bag just for medium format film & polaroid backs.
    Last edited by wclark5179; 06-02-2010 at 08:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The film drop bags are good (not keen on the zipper tho) but I find I use climber chalk bags more. Let structured and if you replace the cord with bungee, very secure once film is slipped inside.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Sounds like a job for a photo student to assist you. I'd shoot one speed as is recommended above in two bodies. Shoot one while your assistant loads and preps the other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if you want to shoot b/w and color, carry two bodies. One for each. I have worked with a wedding photographer for close to 2 years, he still shoots film on occasion(if budget allows it). When we/he shoots film, we each carry two bodies(eos-1v for color, a2e's for b/w). He shoots 400NC for color and Tri-x rated @800 for b/w.

we use BELTBAGS by lowepro. Well I use the lowepro, he has a thinktank. They allow little side cases to be attached on loops, so carrying an extra lens or film in those pockets is very handy. I have a small pouch that is on my left side, has a divider running down the middle, color goes on 1 side, b/w on the other. easy peasy. Once you're done with a roll, drop it back in with its un-exposed brethren . Easier(and faster IMO) than having 2 pouches for unexposed/exposed film)

but shoot 1-2 films MAX, and save yourself the headache. BTW I've always found shoulder bags to get in the way, especially if you're kneeling down to take shots of kids(ring-bearer, or flower girls, etc...) like the assistant shooter does, aka: me .

and if you have priced yourself accordingly, it will pay for itself in no-time flat(probably even 1 wedding)

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Four things I would do Ted.

One. Get colored stickers to put on the top on the film canisters. Different color for each film. Also write the film speed on the sticker. This gives you two visual clues to the film inside.

Two. Get a vest. A fly fishing vest should work well. Lots of little pockets and some big ones. This way you have everything with you without digging through a bag. Lenses, filters, film, tuna sandwich, etc. Load the vest and take it out on a shoot or 5 and rearrange things as needed. Have unexposed film in one pocket and put exposed film in another.

Three. Get more film. If you don’t shoot it all, then you have some for later. If you run out, you’re in a bind.

Four. Relax, you’ll do great. Don’t panic or get in a rush.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I seldom use 800 ISO film. Instead I use a monopod or tripod if required.
    When you work by yourself, carry what you need in a small bag.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How to carry lots of 35mm film during a wedding or other high pressure occasion?

I don't know if it's just me but a photographers vest seems like goofy attire for a wedding. Granted the photographer is a hired gun but I don't beleive one has to have a vest just to grab a roll every 5-10 minutes.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't believe I only have one left, but my slides used to come back from the lab in these white plastic boxes. What I found was after taking the mounted slides out and filing them away, I could put four rolls of film in each box. Unshot rolls were placed spindle up, and exposed rolls were placed spindle down. The outside of the box was labelled with the film type and speed as well as a sequence number.

When it came time to change rolls I'd just pop the cover off, remove the new roll and place the used roll in it top down, replace the cover and put back in my pocket. As these boxes are actually quite small a pair of them are easily carried in the pants pocket. Two boxes, eight rolls of film. It ends up that this is the most space efficient method for 35mm film handling around.

I used to throw away hundreds of these boxes until I got caught out when the labs switched to cardboard boxes. I carefully maintained a few of these boxes for years and now am down to my last box. I should bug some people around this list for some old boxes.

When a box is shot, you just swap it with a new one with four more rolls.

Does anybody know of any supplier for new boxes? I'd like to get a dozen new ones.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The "hip attachment" would be the Lowepro Film Drop mentioned in a couple of the earlier posts, at least for used film, and then maybe another pouch with a flap on top for fresh film. I like the simple two pocket system of fresh film in one pocket and used film in another pocket, but for a summer wedding you might not be wearing a jacket with large pockets, and I've never cared for photo vests.

If you like belt systems, you might take a look at http://www.kgear.com
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "...how do you fine folks carry large numbers of films around during times when you are under pressure? "

Put your unexposed film in your right hand coat pocket,
    shoot it, and put it in your left hand coat pocket.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin