Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,916   Online: 991

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How to carry lots of 35mm film during a wedding or other high pressure occasion?

Hey

I'll be shooting my first wedding using film in a few weeks, as some of you already know.

I will be taking about 6 rolls of Fuji 400H (intend to use 4), 6 rolls of Fuji 800Z (intend to use 4) and two rolls of Fuji Acros 100 (intend to use one). 14 rolls covering 3 different brands. I'm worried that I'll spend too much time fudging around trying to find the rolls I want as I intend to just take them in their plastic containers without the boxes.

So I want some kind of belt that I can insert these into safely and carry around with me! A bit like how a soldier wears a belt of grenades for his grenade launcher! No doubt I'll look a bit of a berk if I can even find such a device, but I figure that if I can find such a device I can quickly load and unload, keep track of which films are which, etc.

I've read this thread but it only discusses portable containers - no 'hip attachments'.

Do any of you know of such a device? If not, how do you fine folks carry large numbers of films around during times when you are under pressure?

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    35mm
    Last two weddings I shot I just put all the film into my right jacket pocket (without tubs) and then transferred the rolls to my left pocket when shot. But I only used one type of film (400H), I suppose you could have 400H in the left pocket and 800Z in the right, and when shot, the roll could go into your bag.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A belt and a vest are both made for film photographers. They are studded with 35mm cannister sized holders that will hold many rolls of film along with other things such as lenses and accessories. IDK where to get them nowdays, but I have used mine for quite a number of occasions. Well, not as many as I would really like, but they are handy.

They are both similar to the belts and vests worn by hunters to hold extra shells.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I shot weddings I always had a small camera bag with me, and that's what others do.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're going to shoot three different speed films at a wedding?! Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simplify!

Stick with the 400 film for all but what is absolutely necessary.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get some colored stickers and put them on the canisters and lids; different colors for different film, obviously. Then, however you handle them, you won't mix them up. Maybe get a fanny pack and put a divider in it for the 6 and 6, and carry the 2 rolls of B+W in a pocket.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ted I'd be inclined to contact a seamtress/taylor/tayloress who makes/ alters garments. There's usually such a person in any reasonable size town, Start asking around. That's the sort of person who could easily attach wide elastic loops around a belt which would allow you to place each container in the loop. If each elastic loop is tight enough then it will be held securely.

Shouldn't cost too much and if weddings are going to be part of your portfolio it will pay for itself in no time.I wouldn't worry about how it looks. No-one bothers how the photographer looks at a wedding.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=lxdude;1006208]Maybe get a fanny pack

Whatever you do, if you are ever in the U.K. and need one of these remember to describe its use rather than use the name

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Ted I'd be inclined to contact a seamtress/taylor/tayloress who makes/ alters garments. There's usually such a person in any reasonable size town, Start asking around. That's the sort of person who could easily attach wide elastic loops around a belt which would allow you to place each container in the loop. If each elastic loop is tight enough then it will be held securely.

Shouldn't cost too much and if weddings are going to be part of your portfolio it will pay for itself in no time.I wouldn't worry about how it looks. No-one bothers how the photographer looks at a wedding.

pentaxuser
    Good idea! Should be easy to make. Just make sure the belt fits so that they can't get pushed out when you sit, kneel, etc.

How about bandolier style, like Pancho Villa!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin