Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,646   Online: 844

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Can I borrow your Nikon F5 body?

I use a Nikon F5. I only have one. I'd prefer to have two and have each one loaded with a different lens, or a different film, or just to have it as a backup in case mine goes wrong for my up-and-coming wedding event.

Are there any brave and generous souls out there in the land of APUG who might consider lending me an F5 for a couple of days? I live in Derbyshire, UK. I'd need it for the 18th June.

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could you rent one? Just a suggestion.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeff

I had thought of that, but last time I enquired with Calumet about hiring I was told the deposit was nearly as much as the camera costs! Whilst I understand why, I didn't have that kind of money to hand. Though I expect an F5 is less than the camera I was enquiring about (a Nikon D200 at the time), I expect it will still be considerable. Folks at APUG are a bit more friendly and I was hoping someone might lend me one in good faith. I long stretch I know, but you never know. I've been offered such generosity and trust in the past on here, I thought I'd try my luck again.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might consider expanding your request to include something like an F100, or any other body compatible with your lenses and/or flashes.

For years I shot weddings with one camera, and had a simpler, less expensive body as a backup.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    The cheapest place to rent is probably e**y. Buy an F100, use it as backup and then relist it. Even if you pay top dollar for the purchase, you are likely to recoup 75-90% of the sale price on the relist.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    Jeff

I had thought of that, but last time I enquired with Calumet about hiring I was told the deposit was nearly as much as the camera costs! Whilst I understand why, I didn't have that kind of money to hand. Though I expect an F5 is less than the camera I was enquiring about (a Nikon D200 at the time), I expect it will still be considerable. Folks at APUG are a bit more friendly and I was hoping someone might lend me one in good faith. I long stretch I know, but you never know. I've been offered such generosity and trust in the past on here, I thought I'd try my luck again.
    I forget what the cost was! Looks like you are between a hard place and a rock! I hope someone can bale you out. As far as 35mm SLR all I got is the old Canon FD stuff.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An F5 is overkill as a backup, an FM or FM2 would be far better.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll second the idea of trying to get an F100 as a second body. When I did a wedding in similiar circumstances, I used an F5 for all the colour work, and an F2 for all the black & white. It was an outdoor wedding so I was able to switch cameras at will, and swap lenses between cameras. (I think I would have gotten confused if I used two identical bodies)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You make a good point about getting confused with 2 identical cameras. Shooting quite a variety of occasions in Colour & B&W (mainly concerts but also weddings) my camera's where always different models although the same make, even when shooting MF.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul VanAudenhove View Post
    I'll second the idea of trying to get an F100 as a second body. When I did a wedding in similiar circumstances, I used an F5 for all the colour work, and an F2 for all the black & white. It was an outdoor wedding so I was able to switch cameras at will, and swap lenses between cameras. (I think I would have gotten confused if I used two identical bodies)
    Or even an F90/N90. I got one recently on e**y for $34 and it's a keeper. Sure the rubber on the back is peeling, but the camera works great. No confusing it with an F5, but it's a great backup camera for me and you can't beat the price if you can stand the noise. :-)

Ulysses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin