Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,445   Online: 1014

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know a lot of people are pushing 35mm, but have you looked at medium format?

Nice big film, nice big lens, nice bright viewfinder, or even hip level viewing. yes, they are big and heavy, and the film is hard to find (in a store on a shelf) and expensive but the results are great. As for focusing, I have a Pentax 6X7 with a metered prism that I shoot handheld and while I can focus it fairly easily, it takes me some dexterity to get the job done.

Just like everything else, as it gets harder to see, get a bigger one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxt View Post
    The only one I've had any hands-on experience with to say one way or another is the Pentax ME Super. Aside from the body itself being very small the viewfinder is the largest and brightest I have personally ever used and it was extremely easy to focus.
    Yeah, it's sweet. It's known for that. I have one which I use quite a bit. It's good enough with glasses to not really bother me. Makes me wonder why they could get it right with that one and not equal it in some of their later ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brightest / easiest to focus manual SLR?

Yes. Winner by several lengths is the Leica R-8 / R-9. Bright AND Contrasty, which are usually conflicting qualities.

After that, a toss-up between an EOS 1v (with suitable screen) or a Nikon F-4.

Followed at a great distance by the rest of the field. Lots of good-to-focus cameras there, but the 3 really are superb.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    OM-1/1N/2/2N with 2-4, 2-13 screen. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that the Canon f1n has a bright focusing screen. It's sure heavy! The camera is built like a tank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've heard that the AE-1 Program also has a fairly bright viewfinder.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    You probably can't beat a camera with the proper eye piece for your eye and a Maxwell screen installed. If this is a Nikon (F2 or F3 maybe) then you can also obtain a swing-away 2X eyepiece magnifier to attach to the eyepiece for critical focusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    I know a lot of people are pushing 35mm, but have you looked at medium format?

Nice big film, nice big lens, nice bright viewfinder, or even hip level viewing. yes, they are big and heavy, and the film is hard to find (in a store on a shelf) and expensive but the results are great. As for focusing, I have a Pentax 6X7 with a metered prism that I shoot handheld and while I can focus it fairly easily, it takes me some dexterity to get the job done.

Just like everything else, as it gets harder to see, get a bigger one.
    I found the Mamiya C330 hard to focus because it was relatively dark with a prism on it even in the day light.

The Hasselblad with the Accumat-D screens is easy to focus on the large viewing area.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've cycled through a lot of 35mm SLRs and the Pentax ME super and OM have the biggest, nicest viewfinders I've come across, although I prefer the Olympus because they don't focus backward. I sold my F4 because of the pathetic viewfinder. Half the viewfinder on a camera twice as big as my OM; I'll never understand some forms of technological devolution.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hermanson View Post
    OM-1/1N/2/2N with 2-4, 2-13 screen. John
    I agree with John. I have been using Olympus cameras for 27 years now. I just got to use an OM-3Ti with its standard 2-13 screen and a 55mm f1.2 Zuiko lens. The difference is like the difference of old TV and Hi-Definition TV.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin