Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,219   Online: 1172

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just a quick update and to put some closure to this.

I had the camera looked at this morning by a local camera repairer and a few interesting things that I got from my visit:

1) the lens that was on the camera was spotless. Not a single spot of fungus was to be found on the surfaces
    2) It was actually fibres in the interior, with a bit of fungus. The interior of the camera body was cleaned, followed by a quick coating of some black matt paint (not exactly sure what it was). The repairer didn't seem at all concerned
    3) People get a bit carried away with fungus. Yes, it will damage equipment, yes it can be transferred from piece to piece, but there is just as much risk of the equipment picking up spores from the general environment that you are in. A gentleman had taken a digital in to be cleaned, that was full of fungus. The camera had been used in an environment that had a lot of compost materials around. The sensor on the camera was deemed beyond repair....not bad on a camera that was 6 months old. (& this is not a digital bash, as it could be a lens I am talking about).

So, the moral of the story, if you have fungus, get it cleaned ASAP, BUT the only time you should dispose of equipment effected is if it is beyond repair.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great news. Just what I expected as well - an easy ending with a lot of unnecessary paranoia. But you handled it well and have some experience to boot. :-)
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For all you "fungiphobes" out there, dont store your gear in old leather cases. Store in the open where sunlight will be able to strike it and fresh air abounds. Mold and mildew avoid those places. Dont forget to keep desiccants in your gear bags and dry them occasionally to keep them active.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    Seriously, I'd get rid of it immediately. Certainly don't store it around any of your other camera equipment.
    Spores are a bit like radio waves. If you could see them all, you would be amazed at how many of them there are everywhere... They cannot be avoided, so you just need to make sure that you don't store your gear in a way/place that allows them to thrive. Chucking out stuff that shows a bit of fungus is often misguided.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin