Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,474   Online: 928

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Being only 20, I feel bad for all of you older guys giving away your camera gear like this... hopefully you run into the younger generation, shooting film!

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Should have sold me the FE body. Nonetheless, This is quite sad.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That TLR sale is a cup 'o sour milk. I had sellers remorse after selling off a mint Gossen SBC Luna Pro. Oh how i wish i had never sold it - it looked like new - manual and everything. I've since "sorta" replaced it with a Sekonic L-398M Studio Deluxe II, but i just didn't think i'd ever need an external light meter. stupid stupid stupid.

On another note, i recently sold a Minolta SRT102 w/ MD Rokkor-X 50mm f1.4 to a young fella - and he's using it like crazy!!! I've been able to go out with him a couple times shooting and he is really enjoying it. I have a few of these and wanted to pare things down a bit and he approached me to buy - i wasn't thinking of selling that particular camera, but i could see he was really interested. Probably the best sale i've made (not in terms of cash, but right camera - right person) - and i've sold more than a few.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Well, the lens mount issue wasn't so simple for Canon- since they had the complex (relatively) breech-mount system on the FD lenses, it would have been problematic to bring out an AF lens using that mount. In the long run I think they made the right choice to piss off some customers now, but have the superior system when it came to autofocus. They put the autofocus motor in the lens, instead of in the body, re-did the lens mount to be optimized for electronic connection between the body and the lens, and as a result, they had the right size motor for the lens in each lens, which became more and more obvious with the longer, faster glass. 30 years ago, Nikon dominated the sports photography arena. Now, look at the average sideline of the average professional sports event, and 90% or more of the lenses you'll see are Canon white.
    You are correct, but let the record show that Nikon lenses can be special ordered in a white finish, and Nikon have begun to make up some lost ground in the past few years, now that they have digital cameras that can actually compete with Canons.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not just have kept the body and sold him the lens alone? No reason for a doofus to have such a nice mint film camera!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's sad. I'm not even old and I know the latest crop of kids today just suck.

Raised on electronics and ADD burned in from the start. I seriously don't think it's the get off my lawn effect either. I truly believe a startling number of youth today are different in a vapid and unappealing way.

Of course there's gems and ones who think outside the box but the "normal" of today is very different from the past.

It seems as if our youth are more and more weak minded with a built-in dependence on technology.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know why you think its the kids that are underachievers. Many of the adults into their 30s and 40s just suck.
    The kids are just the end product of an entertainment-driven generation. You cant blame them.
    Personally I think the internet gives them an advantage in that they have a ton of knowledge at their fingertips.
    Too bad their vocabulary is limited to BTW WTF LOL!
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was about to jump in and rant about kids sucking.
    But, I realize that all age groups have their blemishes.
    For the past few months I've been buying film and
    accessories found on Craigslist. And I'm always expecting
    to meet some deranged lunatics. A few weeks ago I came
    to the conclusion that Analog Photographers are decent,
    generous people. The only fault I can find with photographers,
    is the urge to give away Polaroid Captivas, I now have three of them.

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know there is an up side to this that no one is thinking about. These people are buying these cameras and paying reasonable prices for them and placing them on a shelf where they will look at them all the time, and not use them. These are cameras that were in good condition at time of purchase and being kept in a proper climate for storage so they will probably last for years on those shelves. One day they may either part with the camera by selling it to someone that will use it, or they may one day take it off the shelf and use it themselves. Either way don't look at is being a camera wasted never to be shot again, try to look at as "archival storage" for the next generation of film shooters.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post

For the past few months I've been buying film and
    accessories found on Craigslist. And I'm always expecting
    to meet some deranged lunatics. A few weeks ago I came
    to the conclusion that Analog Photographers are decent,
    generous people.

Ron
    On more than one occasion, my wife has expressed concern about my safety when I've arranged to meet someone offering items for sale on Craigslist. I keep trying to convince her that it is extremely unlikely that someone would use old, user cameras or darkroom supplies or equipment to lure unsuspecting victims for the purpose of stealing their money.

She is sort of convinced.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin