Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,379   Online: 1081

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Seller's Remorse -

I sold a MINT Nikon FE black body with a mint 50mm f1.8 Nikkor and SB10 flash yesterday on craigslist. I met the buyer and he was very excited. He loved the camera and paid my full price no problem.

I offered him a few rolls of film and he said, "no that's okay - I just bought this for the lens!" What? He says to me, "this lens will autofocus on my D300!" I told him the lens will NOT AF and he said that it would - so I shoved the cash in my pocket and left.

By now the buyer must know that I was right, it will not auto-focus. Maybe he can photoshop the focus in! I think from now on, I am going to question the buyer and see what they are going to use the gear for. If I hear a digital use, I think I'll just keep the gear.

Shooter
    35mm
    Dang & I am down here in underland hoping to find a lovely film Nikon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always found Nikon mounted lenses confusing. There seems to be so many rules about which Nikon lens can mount on which camera and retain this functionality it's hard to keep them straight. Nikon should have dropped there manual focus mounts when they went to Autofocus like Canon did. Keep things simple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I always found Nikon mounted lenses confusing. There seems to be so many rules about which Nikon lens can mount on which camera and retain this functionality it's hard to keep them straight. Nikon should have dropped there manual focus mounts when they went to Autofocus like Canon did. Keep things simple.
    Your kidding, right? I would rather have to use a little bit of intelligence and keep using great lens that were purchased years ago rather than having to replace everything.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Perhaps this is why a lot of people dumped thier Canon gear and switched to Nikon. There were a few disgruntled folks.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stillsilver View Post
    Perhaps this is why a lot of people dumped thier Canon gear and switched to Nikon. There were a few disgruntled folks.

Mike
    I guess I'm one of the few who didn't dump Canon FD system. Nothing against Nikon, I'm just too cheap to switch! Besides I still like my old Canons.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, the lens mount issue wasn't so simple for Canon- since they had the complex (relatively) breech-mount system on the FD lenses, it would have been problematic to bring out an AF lens using that mount. In the long run I think they made the right choice to piss off some customers now, but have the superior system when it came to autofocus. They put the autofocus motor in the lens, instead of in the body, re-did the lens mount to be optimized for electronic connection between the body and the lens, and as a result, they had the right size motor for the lens in each lens, which became more and more obvious with the longer, faster glass. 30 years ago, Nikon dominated the sports photography arena. Now, look at the average sideline of the average professional sports event, and 90% or more of the lenses you'll see are Canon white.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm waitng for the OP to tell about the buyer wanting his money back "cause the stupid lens is broke and dont work".
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Look Lanline, just because the guy was bipedal and sported an opposable thumb didn't mean he was intelligent, right? Enjoy the $ and let him figure it out.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The buyer will have to manually autofocus the lens by using the focusing ring located on the barrel of the lens. Should work fine.

Roger

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin