Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,552   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Minolta MC Rokkor-X 85mm f1.7

OK, i 'accidentally' hit buy-it-now on a Minolta MC Rokkor-X f1.7.
    (at least thats what I told my wife)

Problem is, I dont have a minolta body to mount it on. =]
    So, this may end up being my 5th 35mm SLR *system* to buy in to.
    (A friend of mine just gave me an EOS 50, so that makes 6 systems, but I havent paid for anything in that yet, so it doesnt count)

I've read some of the recent posts about the good cameras to buy.
    So I am considering a XD-11 or X-570 to get me started.

What do you think about the lens?
    I looked at Flickr and I liked the examples better than the examples from the Canon FD 85mm f1.8 and Olympus 85mm f2 (nicer bokeh and color).
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Great fast lens. Awesome light. Rokkor is a plus. I would personally recommend a sr-T101. It can operate fully mechanical (sans battery, no meter) and it has mirror lockup. It's a tank, an awesome camera. Or there a few here that would gladly take it from your hands.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The XD11 is considered by many to be the best body Minolta made. The X700 (as opposed to the X570) was the last top-of-the-line body in production and both are fine performers. You will probably find an X700 (or Xxxx) cheaper than an XD11. I own both and they are both fine.

The X700 has a "P" program mode that will not fully function with the "MC" lens you bought. The P mode requires a "MD" mount lens. The XD11 has both aperture and shutter priority, but not a program mode. Take a look at the Rokkor files: http://www.rokkorfiles.com/ and http://www.photoclubalpha.com/useful...seven-decades/

Not to contradict Walrath, the SRT's are fine cameras, and if you pay more than $30 for one, you've done it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    So, this may end up being my 5th 35mm SLR *system* to buy in to.
    You do realize that this is a disease ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Minolta XE-7 / XE-1 is my favorite.
    But I also own the SRT- 101, SRT-303, and X-700.
    The SRT's Are Mechanical Brutes.
    And The XE-7 Is A Masterpiece.

Welcome to the Family.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "Or there a few here that would gladly take it from your hands."

I might be interested in a Olympus 85mm f2.

"The XD11 is considered by many to be the best body Minolta made. "

Thats what seems to be the favorite. But is it so well liked because of reliability, features, or what?

"The Minolta XE-7 / XE-1 is my favorite."
    I owned a XG-1 or maybe it was an XG-7.. but either way I was not impressed. I'm not sure how they differ than the XE series.

"The X700 has a "P" program mode that will not fully function with the "MC" lens you bought."
    -Thank you, you just saved me from buying another camera that I would have to buy separate lenses for =].

"But I also own the SRT- 101, SRT-303, and X-700."
    "The SRT's Are Mechanical Brutes."
    I've held a SRT before and it was a little too big/heavy for my tastes.

"You do realize that this is a disease ..."
    -yes, I have fully embraced my addiction. I dont pretend that I am going to be any better because of it, I just enjoy the ride.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

DLM
    Shooter
    35mm
    The XD11 is a great camera. It has a nice quiet shutter and a feeling of pure quality. I just sold mine on ebay just because it never gets used, although I was really reluctant to get rid of it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Okay... y'all convinced me to take the SRT101 on my road trip. (nothing exciting...primarly open prarie once I pass Flagstaff)
    1. SRT 101 kit.
    2. P3n
    3. SuperProgram
    4. Fujica ST605 (if I get the seals replaced in time)
    5. Vito II...it's about time I try it out along with my EXA
    6. Pentax Auto 110 for funzies. And the Kodak Motormatic R4
    7. the Minolta 2xi.
    8. Batteries
    9. Film
    10.Tripod
    11. Black Duct Tape

HELP HELP HELP HELP. I haven't even started on the Lens list. YIKES.
    Ooh ooh,I'm gonna stick a few moth balls into the case containing the 120-600 Viv. and take it just in case I see some pronghorns. I'll be skidding into homeplate just in time for chow if I take all that gear. jeepers.

so that's 4 non-fool proof and 4 fairly fool proof and 8 possible light leaks. One fool, one fool's dog, green alligators and long-necked geese. Some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees. Some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as you're born ... and the lovelist of all was a Minolta MC Rokkor-X 85mm f1.7

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can mount it on that EOS body without too much trouble.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wound up with three 100/2.5 MC Rokkors. The 85s are all very expensive and I prefer the slightly longer focal length. For portraits I like to use a grid type or plain matte focusing screen. It makes it easier to focus on the eyes. When the X-700 came out in 1981 I thought it was a step backward for Minolta. It has a slower flash synch speed than the XD-11 and a horizontal cloth shutter. It also lacks the ability to provide Shutter Priority automation even with MD lenses. On the plus side, the X-700 has interchangeable focusing screens, TTL flash metering, a sensitive and accurate meter and a very bright and sharp viewfinder. If I find an 85 Rokkor at the right price I may get one. I'm not in a hurry because I have other 85s, even if they are not for Minolta. These include an 85/1.8 Konica Hexanon, an 85/1.8 Canon New FD, an 85/1.8 Canon FL and an 85/2 AI Nikkor. In good light and with a lens as fast as the 85/1.7 MC Rokkor-X any Minolta body would be fine. In lower light or when TTL flash is handy the X-700 is more versatile. I should say that the X-700 focusing screens, apart from the standard one, are not very easy to find.

Even though I like the 85s I have I am more likely to use a 100/2.8 Canon FD or 100/2.5 MC Rokkor or 135/2.8 Vivitar Close Focusing in Konica mount for portrait shooting.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have the X700, the XD7 (XD11) and two SRT's. I prefer the x700 slightly over the XD7.
    If you can get over the plastic you are rewarded with a better grip due to the molded in grip and slightly more responsiveness compared to the XD7.
    For me the handholdability of the X700 is better.

Here is a useful feature compare table for the electronic Minoltas albeit in german.
    Last edited by ath; 06-05-2010 at 03:49 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Regards,
    Andreas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin