Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,632   Online: 718

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta Alpha Sweet II: Centre / Spot focus...?

I just got a Minolta Alpha Sweet II, here in Japan. I don't know what the North American / European name of it would've been, if it was released there. But I have a slight problem with it. The auto-focus system is annoying. I don't like how it chooses where it wants to focus. I've worked out everything else (except the Custom Settings), but how do I set it to centre focus only?
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Howdy,

The sweet II is the same as Maxxum/Dynax 5.

If you are ever after any Minolta AF info, check out http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/bodies.php#film

Back to your camera. According to the chart, it has 7 focus points. Not being familiar with this particular camera, if its like its big brother, if it has a round pad on the back, you should be able to use this. I am not sure who may have the manual, but do a google search and you should find it (Konica Minolta used to still have the manuals online)

EDIT - Yes, here it is (check out page 68 through to 71):

http://ca.konicaminolta.com/support/...x_5_inst_e.pdf
    Last edited by hoffy; 06-04-2010 at 11:03 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added link to manual

Shooter
    35mm
    I wasn't expecting such a speedy response. Thanks so much for that. I'd already found that I can't set it to centre focus, but I need to hold the Spot AF button for that, but the manual confirms that this is the only option. Thanks so much for the help.

I was able to take it out for a spin this morning and the only qualm I have is that the settings in the view finder can be hard to see in strong light (even with sunglasses taken off).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Check out the custom options. There is a way to free up your hands, by using the custom functions.

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Check out the custom options. There is a way to free up your hands, by using the custom functions.

Cheers
    I know. I think the Alpha 7 & 9, and possibly the Sony A900 also has custom functions, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes to all of the above. So does the A700 (my digi shooter).

The sweet is a good camera for what it is, in the fact that it can use the modern SSM lenses (the ones with the focus motor built into the lens). The 7 can also do this, which is the main reason I bought it. The 9 can be retrofitted, but that is a pain, as it has to be done in Germany.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Yes to all of the above. So does the A700 (my digi shooter).

The sweet is a good camera for what it is, in the fact that it can use the modern SSM lenses (the ones with the focus motor built into the lens). The 7 can also do this, which is the main reason I bought it. The 9 can be retrofitted, but that is a pain, as it has to be done in Germany.
    I took all of that into account in my decision,b ut I didn't know the retro-fitting was done in Germany. I got the Sweet because it is physically smaller, and so it takes up less space in my bag. I've got a Sony 70-300mm G SSM lens (a fantastic lens, a little ordinary at 70mm and above 250mm, but awesome in between), so that's also why I chose the Sweet, instead of other options.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, the Maxxm 5 is one of the best designed small cameras. I have always liked the 7 better, but for a very compact unit, the 5 is quite nice. Enjoy your new rig!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah Smith View Post
    Yeah, the Maxxm 5 is one of the best designed small cameras. I have always liked the 7 better, but for a very compact unit, the 5 is quite nice. Enjoy your new rig!
    Cheers.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin