Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,882   Posts: 1,629,687   Online: 802

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 35mm SLR - why?

Shooter
    35mm
    Too funny by some, to serious by others... A photograph is a print to be viewed, No?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Boy, Rippo really does know how to push buttons, and to "stir up the hornet's nest!"

However, in deference to him, I also offer the following, even though they may seem to be contradictory:

[...]

Rippo, I can only echo the points others have made; 2F/2F, SiriusGlass, agw, kiethwms, and many others. What do you want to do, and how do you want to do it? Each of the two main ways under discussion -- film SLR and dSLR -- have characteristics and qualities that may make it the better choice for one application or another. At this time, I still feel a greater sense of satisfaction with film than I do with silicon, but part of that may be that I have much more experience with film, and I am still judging the results of a digital image in comparison with film. You have posed a very difficult question which is probably being answered in many cases with our own personal history, taste, and prejudice. I am sorry. I do not think that any of us can really do better than that.
    Yes I do feel an urge to somehow provide stewardship to a post that has obviously taken on a life of its own. The question was posed from a hypothetical newbie's perspective. Why a modern 35mm SLR specifically? That's the one type of camera/format that has always eluded me, in terms of understanding the benefits as compared with digital. I love playing with rangefinders, old folders, medium format, LF (and despise sub-mini, but understand why it might appeal to some). But somehow, an F5/F6/EOS-1 seemed like they needed a justification that I just couldn't come up with. Like the format was "almost digital" but annoyingly not so. But I've been put in my place, as it were, because of course I was neglecting the recording medium. Film, in any configuration, has a certain appeal and use for some people. The bells and whistles merely make the exposure of that film more convenient.

So really the answer to my question is: because 35mm SLR is 'just like' digital, but with the added benefit of…film!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And lest some say that film is just a frippery, a constructed process by which some can feel a sense of elitism, I must offer as evidence to the contrary my "lucky camera". I have a Zeiss Ikon Nettar 6x6 camera. Every roll yields improbable percentages of excellent images. The yield is staggeringly high as compared to my dSLRs. The reason is simply because, as far as I can tell, I cannot 'chimp' the results, and I only have 12 images to take on a particular roll. So I think about what I do, and let the results stew for awhile before I see them. The process of delayed gratification and enforced diligence seems to actually yield substantive results. I even brought the little Nettar on a fashion shoot a few weeks ago, and one of the images made the final spread. ( http://www.la2day.com/fashion/photo_...ival_instinct/ )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm... rippo..rippo..... weren't you one of those other Marx Brothers?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, I was the one who got told he had 'a face for radio'.

Shooter
    35mm
    I got my Canon EOS RT for $80.
    I can't get a DSLR for that money that comes anywhere near the image quality that I can get out of the RT with decent slide film.
    If (probably when) I get a DSLR I want full frame sensor and I want it to be as durable mechanically as a film camera, so for me that pretty much means I will be saving up for a EOS 5D or similar.
    Unless I blow the money on a Hasselblad or a Mamiya RB67 or something like that first...

I use the RT a lot, usually loaded with slide. At the same time it just cannot give the tactile feel and satisfaction of use that I get out of my older manual focus stuff, but it brings home the results film after film after film, so I can't argue with it.
    If I had a DSLR I would use it for sure, but I love burning film so I would still use my film cameras, all of them, on a regular basis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    If you're asking specifically about late-model, auto-everything, bells-and-whistles SLRs, I agree that they're more similar to DSLRs than different---the main difference is in the recording medium rather than the user experience.

More generally, I think the answer is just that some outstanding cameras have been made in the 35mm SLR format; no wonder considering its popularity. I find myself shooting my AE-1 a lot simply because it's an elegant camera in use, not because it's an SLR per se.

-NT
    Exactly. My AE-1 finally reached it's end-of-life in the beginning of this year (I bought it with money I earned from a summer job in 1978). I now use an F-1N.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like both actually, using digital and film, but to me they're often very different experiences. First off I don't have a very good digital. My Fuji it's okay, upscale for a point and shoot but I have more in terms of lenses with my traditional gear at this point than I do the digital. That means as a learning tool my traditional gear is actually better. When I can afford a DSLR that will level out a lot and I will likely be shooting more with the DSLR and using some of my older lenses on that camera, but for right now I still need the fully manual settings and the good lenses to learn. Also, I just plain enjoy using film now and again. I'm a Pentax fan and my old Spottie is my favorite camera, period. There's something about the feel of that camera and using those lenses that actually feels better to me than my digital.

I tend to like old things in general. When it comes to film SLR's most of my gear is from the 50's through the 70's. I like old cars. I also sew on a sewing machine that's from the 1940's so maybe it's just that too, liking old things. I'm not really a huge fan of plastic cameras. I tend like the weight and quality of something a bit older.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Naples View Post
    No.

But I can see the images on my film negatives and transparencies. They're there.

And I can't see any images on or in my RAW, jpg, or tif computer files. They're not there.

NM.
    Your argumments are a tempest in a teapot....you are a rebel without a cause ;-)

You write what you write, yet there are thousands of old timer film shooters that have successfully added digital photography to their toolbox and are making awesome images that way.

Go ahead, fight your windmills Don Quixote.... :-)
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by magkelly View Post
    I tend like the weight and quality of something a bit older.
    Now if I can get some of the women around where I live to think the same way...except the quality part...
    Last edited by lxdude; 06-15-2010 at 08:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin