Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,569   Online: 928

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Thread: 35mm SLR - why?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My reasoning to the original question is because of the unique look that film gives me. I like the functionality of the modern DSLR, but the look of the film medium.

That said, my axe of choice is either an OM-4T orOM-3Ti.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    35mm
    Today, such impressive modern pieces of camera-art-industry-techology, like Nikon F5/F6 or latest Canon's and others film bodies who looks like todays digitals bodies and have almost same options are definetely not expensive, very strong build, different meterings, better viewfinder etc. But as you say, shooting with such a body is like experiencing digital, and such "speed" cameras should be used from some sport/jurnalistic photographers who need the advanced techology/autofocus/speed etc, but why would some sport photographer today use film when they need to shoot myriad of photos? With this kind of bodies you would shoot 36 exposures in several seconds, heh.

For artistic way, some completely manual or manual-like camera would be best, it doesn't mean that it should be like 40 year's old, it could be some newer Nikon FM-10, some Voigtlander/Zeiss newest manual analolg based cameras etc.
    "It's not about the pictures, concepts, people, human bodies, emotions, experimentations, colours, dreams, tricky scenes, camera or imaginations.. it's about the poetry behind them all."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. Full wide angle when compared to less then full focal plane sensors.
    2. Zoom capability which RF does not have
    3. Longer telephoto lenses that RF has.
    4. Macro capability which RF does not have.
    5. Ease of use of polarizors.
    6. Can see DoF by stopping down which RF cannot do.
    7. Brighter viewfinders.
    8. Better resolution then digital.
    9. Better color gamut that digital has or will have for maybe decades [look up color gamut].
    10. Lower equipment costs than digital.
    11. Processing or even custom processing is much less that the start up costs of a digital slr. Camera, computer, software
    12. The enjoyment of film.

I shoot 35mm, MF and LF with slrs. I also have RFs.

Steve
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 06-06-2010 at 06:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "35mm SLR - why?"

Because the photographer likes to capture using film.

I've been active with the Twin Cities Professional Photographers Association (TCPPA), where every so often a presenter will ask how many use film and how many use digital capture. Ten years ago (2000) it was about 80% film & 20% digital, 5 years ago (2005) it was 80% digital & 20% film, today it is 99% digital and 1% film.

Many reasons for this.

But folks on this forum, including me, like using film for capture for many reasons.

Although it's real hard, even with film, to totally eliminate digital as most use scanning, the internet to, at least, look at photographs.

Since I've been a nerd all my life, never went our for sports, I say that now it is truly the revenge of the nerds as so much of our tasks and our society has been touched by all these electronics.

Enjoy film while you can. It offers much to use as a medium for our art.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of my work is produced on transparency to Ilfochrome, museum grade conservation framed , displayed in gallery and eventually sold. The camera is a tool, and one which has guided me to perfecting my trademark style in 35mm. I am not enamoured or swayed by bigger, slower, fancied or fussy formats at all, though I have a natural interest in observing why other photographers are using — and cheerfully ignoring anything at all with the whiff of digital to it!

The EOS 1V, despite being packed to the rafters with technology, is nowhere near digital. Even further from that notion is my beloved workhorse, the EOS 1N. If they appear to you an almost digital experience, why do they "fall short"? And there is the question. If you do not use your Nikon N90S (BTW, is that the F90X otherwise?) then how is it a change of format (if any) will reignite the spark? I see you've already got multiple formats to play with. You really need to sit down and consider the objectives and what you want to do, to achieve, with whatever format you are looking at and not clutch at a fancy piece of expensive, auto-redundant machinery like it is a Chanel tote, which is the way so many digimons appear to be panhandled today: on purchase they are the flavour of the month; before you know it, the latest and greatest is yesterday's hero — now as popular as herpes on a honeymoon. You can take my word for it: you can go a long, long, long way in one format. I'm still going in it after 33 years.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 06-06-2010 at 06:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because 35mm film is better than any digital camera in almost every way, for almost every task I ever do that calls for one or the other. I have little use for a digital camera, other than when people specifically need to be provided with relatively crummy, small, quick pix, and/or are on a tight budget and want/need a quick turnaround. In other words, I think that digital is a great thing to have on hand for when you need to take pictures that you don't really care about. You can use film for things you don't care about, and you can use digital for things you care about, but I find that the extra effort with film is worth it with the things you care about, while it is less worth it with the things you don't, and vice versa with the "benefits" of digital.

I do like using digital cameras for certain things. However, not enough to invest a bunch of money into them all at once and drop all of my film tools, as most people seem to have done. Digital stuff is too expensive for me, not well built enough for me (though the quality is pretty good on the higher-level - i.e. even more expensiver - models), and is designed and marketed as disposable electronics and software, not as long-term tools. I don't believe any self respecting company should design and market its products this way. I think some of the medium and large format digital companies (i.e. SINAR) have something closer to the right idea, when it comes to digital (high quality, built-to-last, backward-and-forward-compatible, system-oriented tools with longevity and reliability, for true commercial photographers and the situations in which they shoot). I think digital can work very well wen you have full control, but film is better for me in natural, unpredictable, highly-varied, totally-uncontrollable light. I know how to work with film to get what I want, and it is actually fun for me, unlike digital. I use the modern-style cameras of which you speak when I want more modern features, but still want a piece of film as the result.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-06-2010 at 06:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Because 35mm film is better than any digital camera in almost every way, for almost every task I ever do that calls for one or the other.
    Spoken as an experienced and wise man.

Listen to him! He knows that of which he speaks.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I still like doing film. I like doing things by hand than by computer. I'm weird!

Jeff
    Yeah, but that's not why!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like the look that film give me. I started shooting digital 10 years ago and found that I didn't like the look as well as the amount of time you needed to spend in PS. It was not what I was looking for. I mostly shoot digital when I take a camera apart to repair.

So why 35mm SLR? I could give you many of the reasons others have given you, but mostly because my Olympus SLR , Yashica GSN 35 and Olympus XA rangefinders that I have used, for next to forever, still are great cameras that can provide great photos.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Because 35mm film is better than any digital camera in almost every way, for almost every task I ever do that calls for one or the other..
    I find that prints from the Leica R8 with DMR digital back are far better than those I was getting with the R8 and E100G or Provia 100F - grain vs. noise, color accuracy, dynamic range, and the ability to fine-tune exposures to match the camera's dynamic range to the subject... about the only advantage the camera had with film is the wider angle of view, when the photo required it. I'm printing the DMR files much bigger than I ever printed the film photos and I'm much happier with them (as are gallery owners/curators).

However I have kept two Leicaflex SL bodies as backups for the R8/DMR. Why not just use the R8 with film? To put it in simplest terms, the SL's viewfinder, and I have little use for the R8's automated features. The SLs have both been updated to use the R8's Leica-R ROM lenses and modern silver-oxide meter batteries.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin