Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,908   Online: 1154

Page 1 of 21 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: 35mm SLR - why?

Shooter
    Medium Format

35mm SLR - why?

I've been thinking a lot about different formats, types of cameras etc lately, and I'm a little stumped on one. Perhaps some can chime in and give me their opinions? I get why one would shoot with large format, medium format, 35mm rangefinder, sub-mini etc. But what advantages, if any, would one choose to shoot a late-model full-featured film SLR over the d-word equivalent? Seems to me that using an EOS-1V or a Nikon F6 would be an "almost digital" experience, but fall short. I have a Nikon N90s that I rarely use.

I'm not asking for a D-versus-A discussion. I know better than that! I'm just asking: why, in a digital age, would a photographer specifically choose a modern film SLR camera such as those mentioned above?

-Matt
    (Bronica EC, Bronica ETR-s, Yashica Electro 35 GSN, Yashicaflex, Nikon N90s, Super Ricohflex, Toyo-View C etc etc etc)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The SLR digital experience is almost like shooting an SLR film camera but it falls short.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The main reason for me is that I don't care to spend 2K plus to get a camera that would equal (for many things) the 35 SLR I already own.
    OTH mostly I use MF and LF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're asking specifically about late-model, auto-everything, bells-and-whistles SLRs, I agree that they're more similar to DSLRs than different---the main difference is in the recording medium rather than the user experience.

More generally, I think the answer is just that some outstanding cameras have been made in the 35mm SLR format; no wonder considering its popularity. I find myself shooting my AE-1 a lot simply because it's an elegant camera in use, not because it's an SLR per se.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    1. It's much cheaper to buy.
    2. Brighter, bigger viewfinders
    3. Pleasure of using film.
    4. No messing around on the computer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    maybe the reason why people buy them, is because they want one ?

( equipment is a distraction ... )

Shooter
    35mm
    I think we've done this one to death. I'll say no more.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my Olympus OM-4T.

1. Bright viewfinder.
    2. Manual focus (all I have to do is turn the Focusing Ring until the subject is in focus).
    3. Affordable, high quality prime lenses.
    4. Multi-Spot metering.

Most important: You cannot load Kodachrome into a DSLR.:o

Shooter
    Medium Format
    1. My now 10-year-old F5 has superior autofocus speed and metering to any DSLR available under $3000. I've proved it shooting both on the same assignment.
    2. Despite the dwindling availability of film types, film still gives us many more choices in terms of color rendition, dynamic range, and enlargeability of the image. In other words, D**** still has relatively narrow exposure latitude - much like the transparency films of the 60s and 70s.
    3. Independence - I can go on the road for weeks with my manual Nikons and shoot every day without needing a battery or a power outlet to recharge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    maybe the reason why people buy them, is because they want one ?

( equipment is a distraction ... )
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Page 1 of 21 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin