Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,686   Posts: 1,548,612   Online: 1336

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbuzzclick View Post
    Another plus for the Pentax line: All of the old K-Mount and M42 screw mount (with adapter) lenses will work with the newer digital bodies. While this is true to a certain degree with other brands, it's more so with Pentax.
    Yes, Pentax and Nikon has kept their mounts, so old lanses do fit and can be used. But it is _not_ "more so" with Pentax, it is less so since Pentax did not bother to make their new cameras fully compatible with the whole point of the K-mount they once invented. On a Pentax DSLR you have to stop-down meter using old K-lenses since the new bodies cannot mechanically feel what aperture the lens is dialed in to, they do not have that little pin sticking in the lens on the cartridge side of the mirror, the camera house pin that feels the aperture ring on the lens. Probably because Pentax wants people to buy new lenses instead of using old ones, by making old lenses clumsier to use.
    Last edited by steelneck; 06-07-2010 at 06:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Better wording

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was given an Olympus OM2 by a neighbour and love it. I just bought a zuiko 35 f 2.8 for it. Great combo for me. Love my Contax SLR's too but the OM2 really took me by surprise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OM-2 body: 136 x 83 x 50mm, 520g, viewfinder 97% coverage, 0.92x magnification
    ME Super body: 131 x 82.5 x 49.5mm ,460g, viewfinder 92% coverage, 0.97x magnification

Shooter
    35mm
    - Size & weight. I don´t want it bigger/heavier.
    - Auto and manual exposure with very clear readings in the VF.
    - Very nice and big VF.
    - Lots of rather inexpensive glass to be found. I would definitely want a fast 50mm.
    Sounds like you want an OM2n. I went from ME Super to OM2n. It was an easy conversion, because the OM2n is the same size, with an equally good viewfinder, a very usable manual mode unlike the pentax, and the lenses focus better (for me). The only thing I miss about the pentax is the shorter throw on the rewind lever.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently bought an ME Super at a roadside rummage sale. Cost me $20.00.
    A little spiffing up and it's as good as new. I bought it as a spare camera but I find myself using it more than my regular camera.

It's got just enough automatic features to be useful when you want to work fast but it's not so automatic as to be difficult to use manually when you want. The lens on mine is ƒ-1.7. Viewfinder is bright. Controls are easy to operate. All my other Pentax lenses are interchangeable.

Great camera!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

6x9

Shooter
    35mm
    If I remember correctly, OM glass has a tendency to flare bad.
    I have changed my password and changed my email to a random email. This is forum seppuku. Good bye!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steelneck View Post
    Yes, Pentax and Nikon has kept their mounts, so old lanses do fit and can be used. But it is _not_ "more so" with Pentax, it is less so since Pentax did not bother to make their new cameras fully compatible with the whole point of the K-mount they once invented. On a Pentax DSLR you have to stop-down meter using old K-lenses since the new bodies cannot mechanically feel what aperture the lens is dialed in to, they do not have that little pin sticking in the lens on the cartridge side of the mirror, the camera house pin that feels the aperture ring on the lens. Probably because Pentax wants people to buy new lenses instead of using old ones, by making old lenses clumsier to use.
    This is not true of the more recent Pentax DSLRs, including the budget K-x. I just came inside from shooting origami boats in the park across the street with mine with the 50/2 SMC-Pentax.

This issue that you raise--backwards compatibility--is far less true of Pentax than Nikon, Canon, or any of the other major players (quality is another discussion which... to each their own ). As noted by Karen Nakumara, who has more experience with these things than all but a tiny percentage of people in the universe:

"The famed "backwards compatible" Nikon SLR system has enough incompatibilities and "buts" to fill an entire wall chart."

http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...iPentaxME.html

But don't take her word for it:

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

In fact, if you type "nikon lens " into google, "... compatibility chart" is second-ranked behind only "... reviews".
    -brian hayden
    http://fed-2.org

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Sounds like you want an OM2n. I went from ME Super to OM2n. It was an easy conversion, because the OM2n is the same size, with an equally good viewfinder, a very usable manual mode unlike the pentax, and the lenses focus better (for me). The only thing I miss about the pentax is the shorter throw on the rewind lever.
    I loved both the OM2 and OM1n, but eventually sold them both after I found a pristine ME Super locally for peanuts. I wouldn't pretend for a second that the Pentax is better in some objective sense. They each have their points in favor. In the end I found them roughly equivalent shooters, so the Pentax won purely on familiarity (I started out with manual cameras by shooting and repairing K1000s on a college campus back when) and very slightly lower total cost of ownership. The latter was important with a new family, though the difference isn't enough that I'd have cared otherwise.
    -brian hayden

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Out of curiosity, what did you find hard to use about the manual mode on the ME Super? I go between manual and AP without really thinking about it and didn't find it any more or less usable than my OMs, but I've been using Pentax a long time so it might just be some quirks that I'm used to.
    -brian hayden

Shooter
    35mm
    Out of curiosity, what did you find hard to use about the manual mode on the ME Super?
    It has digital buttons to sequentially change the shutter speed. And the buttons don't even click. This is unacceptable since you can't tell by feel what shutter speed is set. You have to look in the viewfinder and press the shutter partway to see what shutter speed you have set! You can't quickly change the shutter speed by a large amount...you have to sit there pushing the button like 6 times in a row to change by 6 speeds.

I also prefer the Olympus's nice, simple viewfinder needle to the column of LEDs and numbers cluttering up the ME Super's viewfinder. For me, manual mode on the ME Super is a tacked-on feature, and not suitable for dedicated use.
    f/22 and be there.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin