Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,388   Online: 1090

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    It has digital buttons to sequentially change the shutter speed. And the buttons don't even click. This is unacceptable since you can't tell by feel what shutter speed is set. You have to look in the viewfinder and press the shutter partway to see what shutter speed you have set! You can't quickly change the shutter speed by a large amount...you have to sit there pushing the button like 6 times in a row to change by 6 speeds.

I also prefer the Olympus's nice, simple viewfinder needle to the column of LEDs and numbers cluttering up the ME Super's viewfinder. For me, manual mode on the ME Super is a tacked-on feature, and not suitable for dedicated use.
    Oh, I see. That makes sense. When I want to work that way I'm nearly always using AP, if I put it on manual it's so I can do a manual version of shutter priority. When I want to shoot all-out, true manual I grab the FED-2 or Spotmatic so this hadn't really occurred to me. That's definitely a good observation if the OP plans on this being the primary, carry-everywhere camera and wants full manual.

Though I did mostly tire of needles a long time ago. I like them in very bright daylight, not in any other situation.
    -brian hayden
    http://fed-2.org

Shooter
    35mm
    It is true, and one of the reasons my ME Super used to be my 'low-light' camera, that the ME Super LEDs are very visible in low light. Which is a good thing, since you need to be able to see them to know what shutter speed is set. With my OM, I can tell the shutter speed by feel. Most of the time when I shoot manual, I'm ignoring what the meter tells me anyway. In fact the meter on my OM2 is wrong anyway, so you have to ignore it.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me, the LEDs on the ME Super can be hard to see out in the bright sun. I find the OM-2 viewfinder needle much easier to see. The OM-2 also has a very smooth shutter. But I still love my ME Super.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you already have a canon 1v why not consider one of the smaller canon EOS bodies, such as the rebel series or the 7-series? That way you could still use the canon lenses you already own. It could save you a lot of money and still give you a small light camera to play with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am in the process of selling off my Canon gear to go back to Contax so be careful. If you start using another camera you may dump the Canon. I have an ME Super in storage somewhere and the 50mm 1.4 Pentax lens which is one beautiful piece of glass. Shot with the 50mm 1.4 the only time I can remember using it. when I looked at the negs, I almost went to all Pentax-

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd go all Pentax for that =].

Seriously, here is a quick rundown. All my opinion so take it with a grain of salt.
    Pentax ME- smallest and lightest. Aperture-priority only (no manual). Surprisingly likable camera.
    Pentax ME Super - A bit heavirr than the ME. Manual available. Some dont like the push buttons to select shutter speed but never bothered me. Some common mechanical issues.
    Pentax MX - all mechanical version. reported to be more reliable than the ME super. (I dont have one myself)
    Pentax Super Program / Super A - a tiny bit larger than the ME/super but with a very nice grip and larger viewfinder. My favorite of the bunch.
    Pentax K1000 - All mechanical, reliable, but more of a medium-size camera with more of a clockwork feel to it.

Olympus:
    OM1: mechanical, reliable, small, but sturdy feel.
    OM2: electronic, reliable, good manual mode, heaver than the ME's. *One thing I would like to mention is the extremely easy exposure compensation knob.
    OM10: low-cost version. manual adapter available, reliability issues.

**Both Pentax and Olympus share some qualities as a system.. They are compact, reliable, and deliver excellent results. You can easily get a basic kit of a camera and lens(es) for a low price. However if you want more exotic stuff like super-wide angle lenses, super telephotos, and extra bright lenses, be prepared for a steep price curve and low availability. However there are more aftermarket lenses available for Pentax.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nikon also has the Em, FG, and Fg20 that directly competes with the other compact SLR's. They are OK but they have a clunky feel compared to the others.
    I would reccomend a Nikon FE/FM series if you want to go that route as they are fabulous cameras and the Nikon system is superb and widely available. They are not quite as small but they make up for it.

Cannon FD is another alternative as an inexpensive system but they never made a small camera in this catagory.

Maybe someone else can chime in about Minolta.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by zumbido View Post
    This is not true of the more recent Pentax DSLRs, including the budget K-x. I just came inside from shooting origami boats in the park across the street with mine with the 50/2 SMC-Pentax.
    Here is a Pentax K-x with its mount:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KX/ZURFRONT-L.JPG

Where is the coupling between the house and a K-lens aperture ring?

Compare to the picture attached below where i have added some red color to the coupling devices needed to be compatible with a K-mount lens.

Read also this statement at pentaximaging.com, that also supports what i am saying that Pentax K-mount only can be used in manual exposure mode using stop down metering. Only those lenses with an "A" on the aperture ring can be used in automatic modes. An ordinary K-lens has to be used in the same as an ancient M42 screw mount on new bodies.
    http://support.pentaximaging.com/documents/908

Pentax is _not_ fully compatible with its old lenses and cannot use them in aperture priority as 30 year old cameras can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails apertf.jpg  

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I also really like the older Spotmatics ad have an original as well as an F, far better build quality than the K & M cameras. I'd be tempted by the SIa on sale on APUG right now

Ian
    Ian,

Personally, I'd be hard-pressed to get a fag paper between the build quality of the Spotmatics and K series Pentaxes, as the K series were largely bayonet mount derivatives of the Spots. Totally with you on the M series - the ME/Supers aren't serious cameras, MX is a bit better but if I were to apply my "trip up Mt Everest test" it would be a Spotmatic or KX !

Yes, I like the S1a, and if was for sale in the next street I'd have it, but postage from the US takes the shine off the bargain!

Cheers,

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve, I was thinking of the K1000 where the quality did change over the years. The KM, KX and K2 were OK but there's an awful lot more K1000's around.

Ian

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin