Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,859   Online: 989

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Steve, I was thinking of the K1000 where the quality did change over the years. The KM, KX and K2 were OK but there's an awful lot more K1000's around.

Ian
    Yes, Ian, I take your point. The K1000 did suffer as time moved on and production moved away from Japan. There's also the lack of DoF preview which irked me from very soon after I bought one new in 1970-something. IIRC the ME/Super doesn't have DoF either, but of course the MX does.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The OM2 is an excellent choice. They are excellent reliable cameras and a joy to use. The 50mm and 24mm are great lenses.

The foam seals will need replacing on any vintage camera you buy. The prism foam should be replaced, but doesnt have to be done immediately.
    if it hasn't caused a problem on the prism in the decades before, it is unlikely it will cause a problem in the next few weeks/months/years.

Definately plan for a full CLA and you will end up with a great camera that will last you for decades to come.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steelneck View Post
    I am writing about K-mount lenses, you are writing specific about AK-lenses.. That clears it up.
    No. As mentioned in the line you quoted, I was chiefly talking about NON-A K-mount lenses, as we already agreed that the A versions work in all auto modes.

Few old K-mount lenses are AK counting all different brands, including many of the new ones still made today. A 30 year old Pentax, Chinon, Richo, Cosina, Sears, Agfa, Soligor, Zenit, brand new Phenix or Vivitars made today and some more can use plain old K-lenses of a long series of brands, and light meter, and use aperture priority with them as supposed. A new Pentax can not (requiring an extra button push). (edit: this is what new cameras do to photographers, reduce them to button-pushers)
    It's just silly and factually incorrect to label one extra button push "stop-down metering the same as ancient M42 lenses", which is what you said.

That argument has Pentax thrown away, though they are trying to use it anyway. Only reason they get away with it has to do with psychology, the more someone has sacrificed (payed money, time, prestige), the more they are going to defend and excuse the manufacturer just to justify them self, and buyers of new DSLR cameras usually have invested a big enough amount of money to be hurt by negative statement about "their" brand of choise. (edit) This is the main reason to long brand-flamewars on the net.
    With all due respect, that's a ridiculous set of assertions. Pentax has thrown away far less than *any other major player*, so to single them out can only be called, again, ridiculous.
    -brian hayden
    http://fed-2.org

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by zumbido View Post
    It's just silly and factually incorrect to label one extra button push "stop-down metering the same as ancient M42 lenses", which is what you said.
    Well, what "label" we put on it is irrelevant, a new Pentax cannot use the features that old K-mount lenses have. The camera house do not "know" the dialed in aperture and the photographer has to push a special button to meter before talking the shot. I would not even be surprised if this "feature" has to be turned on deep, deep down in some half secret menu requiring reading of a 300 page manual first.. (edit: think about it, what does the new and shiny camera house actually do when the photog pushes that button?)

And the sad thing is that it is done on purpose (if it is not on purpose they are downright incompetent since all it takes is one little pin and a potentiometer) at the same time the they talk about compability without saying just as loud that it is only half compatible. Yes, old lenses can used, but not as they were designed to be able o be used.

I am not defending Nikon either, i have never owned a Nikon, actually not ever even taken one single shot with a Nikon (though i think i would consider a Fm3a if i find one at the right price). And Canon changed their mount completely, and naturally, they do not have to dig them self into this, for good and bad. I will give it to you that i used wrong words saying that Pentax is less compatible than the others. But i will not back down on that they are _not_ compatible because i see this quite black n white, either you are fully compatible or not, or else we could even say that Canon are compatible with K-mount lenses since they can be used on a Canon too.

Well.. to bring us back on Lars Daniels topic, the K-mount is an argument for him to consider since it was used by many different brands, and i have the impression that it was especially big in europe and scandinavia at the time. There are also still some makers of new K-mount cameras and lenses, Seagull, Phenix and Vivitar comes to mind and of course superb (and expensive) new lenses from Zeiss and Voigtländer.
    Last edited by steelneck; 06-09-2010 at 05:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone mention the Canon FD system, and like he said not real small but good prices and good quality. Look into the FTb.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Pentax ME and other compact SLRs from other manufacturers were largely targeted to the amateur market, whereas the Olympus OM-n line (single digit) were designed as professional grade bodies. The dual digit Olympus (e.g. OM-10, OM-20) were the amateur line comparable to the compact line from other manufacturers. The OM-1 and OM-2 would be more durable, as pro grade bodies.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Over the years I've had the opportunity to try several different brands of mechanical and electronic cameras of which I thought quite often that I would love to own one. And over the years I did acquire several bodies from different manufacturers, and spent a tidy sum of money to bring them to better working condition. They all now sit in a drawer awaiting use, while I would "normally" scour the ads for the next "just got to have it because it's a better, smaller/lighter/faster/more feature ridden camera" body that should do the job so much better then the last one; And then of course I need a full set of lenses on top of it besides all the accessories. But fortunately before I ran out of drawer space, and money, I figured out that the Holy Grail of camera bodies doesn't exist; It's a myth. So, I stuck a lens on my K1000 with the broken meter, put a light meter in my pocket, and set DOF by the aperture ring and slowed down and got some very nice pictures without the need to add to my collection, which is up for sale btw. What I have learned is that for what i have spent on equipment, I could have easily gone on my greatest dream photo vacation and still have money left over; For a lens.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to follow up:
    I was in Barcelona for some days bringing both dslr and the borrowed Pentax ME. The little Pentax got all the love :-)
    I came home, and picked up an Olympus OM-2 with 50mm f1.4 and 28mm f2.8. Also the original leather case and a nice tele zoom plus a teleconverter. All in VERY nice condition (one owner, a casual hobbyist) for 83 USD. Damn these are good times to discover analog photography! :-)

@Waynecrider: Your post should go in some hall-of-fame. Brilliant.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I'm a total Pentax snob and I would highly recommend you grab one of these three if you can.

1. Pentax K1000 SE

Reason I say SE is that the metering on the SE is supposed to be a bit better than on the regular ones, the view screen is better, and besides which the SE is a pretty camera when it comes in the brown leatherette besides. Lenses, all over the place and reasonable, mostly.

2. Spotmatic II

One of the best cameras ever made IMHO. Can't beat it for simplicity and ease of use. It also takes some fabulous pics and holds up extremely well over the years. Bad point, it's a bit heavy compared to the K1000. More metal, less plastic.

3. Pentax MX, a lighter gem of a camera, twin of the ME. All manual, simple to use, a sweet little camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes! I could not have said it better, even if I practiced. You make an excellent point.

Just for context, I realize this thread is about SLRs: I recently borrowed a Leica M4-P, which obviously is a rangefinder. My first reaction was 'must have this - now!'. It is so nimble and wonderful to use, so quick and intuitive to handle. But then I processed the film, looked at the resulting pictures, and honestly they were no different from what I get from my Pentax KX. I compared the 50mm Summicron with the 55mm Pentax SMC, and I'll be darned if I can tell a difference! Even at high crop factors, being equivalent to 16" x 20" print size I couldn't tell a difference.

So I'm keeping my Pentax, thank you very much for the lesson. I learned a lot by using that Leica. Don't get me wrong. It does some things extraordinarily well. It is a lovely lovely camera, and if I did NOT have to flip pennies in order to go on vacations (to take pictures and have fun) I probably would buy one. But I just can't justify the opportunity cost of buying the Leica; it would be at the expense of travel, more film and paper, and a better life.

Pentax is a bit of an underdog, with really good prices, and with optics that, I dare say in my opinion, second to none.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Over the years I've had the opportunity to try several different brands of mechanical and electronic cameras of which I thought quite often that I would love to own one. And over the years I did acquire several bodies from different manufacturers, and spent a tidy sum of money to bring them to better working condition. They all now sit in a drawer awaiting use, while I would "normally" scour the ads for the next "just got to have it because it's a better, smaller/lighter/faster/more feature ridden camera" body that should do the job so much better then the last one; And then of course I need a full set of lenses on top of it besides all the accessories. But fortunately before I ran out of drawer space, and money, I figured out that the Holy Grail of camera bodies doesn't exist; It's a myth. So, I stuck a lens on my K1000 with the broken meter, put a light meter in my pocket, and set DOF by the aperture ring and slowed down and got some very nice pictures without the need to add to my collection, which is up for sale btw. What I have learned is that for what i have spent on equipment, I could have easily gone on my greatest dream photo vacation and still have money left over; For a lens.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin