Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,965   Posts: 1,523,317   Online: 1188

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Which system should I choose?

Hi APUG, I'm trying to figure out what camera system to use on my secondary 35mm film system.
    My primary is and always will be Nikon. Digital and Film, etc.

My secondary system is what I use when I just want to take a camera and use it for street shooting and just having fun with friends and stuff (having the bulky F100/Dx series digital + grip + huge lenses makes me think of my job and is tiring to carry around when i am just out having fun).

It pretty much all comes down to lens systems right now.

I found a hell of a deal on some equipment recently.
    In the end, I got a Minolta X700, Minolta SRT200, Olympus OM-G (OM-20), and a Yashica Electro X ITS (all 4 with a plethora of lenses) for about $30.
    All have working meters, function well, and are in beautiful condition.

* I love the shutter sound, features, and Rokkor glass on the X700.
    * I love the size of the Olympus OM system body. I don't know of the quality of lenses, but I'm sure Zuiko lenses are sweet. If i go with this, i'll trade-up to a better camera body for this system.
    * I love the huge number of lens possibilities if I were to use the Yashica Electro X ITS (it's got the M42 screwmount system).

So what should I do? I'm really at a loss here
    Toledo Camera Trader and photojournalist

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Why don't you just add an FM/2/3 or FE/FE2 body. They're small and lightweight and you can continue with your Nikon line.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If this is primarily a sreet setup, why not go with a rangefinder? Lightwight (Mamiya 7ii and others excepting), fast, easy to use. Some with interchangeable lenses. 35mm or MF. Well worth looking into. My personal advice regarding a second 35mm SLR setup would be the Minolta due to personal experience. But you name good systems and seem to have a head for it. Go with what is affordable.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm
    Why don't you just add an FM/2/3 or FE/FE2 body. They're small and lightweight and you can continue with your Nikon line.
    All I have are heavy autofocus zoom lenses for my Nikon systems. Would be kinda funny to see a FM2 with a 24-70 f/2.8 or a 70-200 VR-II latched on.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath
    If this is primarily a street setup, why not go with a rangefinder? Lightweight (Mamiya 7ii and others excepting), fast, easy to use. Some with interchangeable lenses. 35mm or MF. Well worth looking into. My personal advice regarding a second 35mm SLR setup would be the Minolta due to personal experience. But you name good systems and seem to have a head for it. Go with what is affordable.
    Rangefinder? I really hadn't thought of that. I've really never used one beyond a QL17 I had years ago (for a brief time).
    I think the word Leica is dirty because you are (more or less) paying for a brand name. I'd have to get something halfway cheap with decent lenses for me to consider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use two OMGs as my lightweight bodies, and an OM1n or OM2n or OM2Sp as my main cameras. I get lots of use out of the OMGs. Don't replace your OMG too quickly.

If I were you, I'd agree with Mike, and get another, smaller Nikon body (Edit) and some smaller Nikon lenses that would work with your other camera.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    A Nikon FM2a with 50mm 1.8 short barrel is great, small and quick!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by christom View Post
    A Nikon FM2a with 50mm 1.8 short barrel is great, small and quick!
    I'd probably end up getting a 24/28mm lens.

The rangefinder idea is getting better and better, though. I *might* pursue that option further.

What are the differences between the Nikon FE series and the Nikon FM series?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The FE is automatic + manual exposure and is battery dependent. The FM is manual exposure only, and the battery runs only the meter.

I bought my FE in 1980, and it's never let me down. I shot it side by side with an F2A for years. Still have both cameras.

I only suggest this, because if you're used to Nikon gear, then it's an easy step. Plus, you can always use your manual focus lenses with the F100 and Nikon digital bodies.

The Olympus cameras are very nice as well. I can also recommend the Pentax MX and the Minolta XD11 with the f/2.0 45mm lens (a nice little package).

Keep in mind that if you buy into any Japanese camera from the 1980s or earlier, you're probably going to have to replace the foam light seals. Plus, the camera might need to be overhauled (cleaned, etc.). You might want to look for a camera that's been serviced.

Shooter
    35mm
    I meant to say FM3A. In a nut shell... The FM2n, FM2 & FM have all manual settings with meter built in. The FE & FE2 have auto meter with aperture priority or manual settings but battery dependent. The FM3A has a hybrid shutter, all manual with or with out batteries or with auto metering with aperture priority... You can still have all of them repaired although I have an FE I bought new in 1980 that has been to hell and back... I sent it for a tune up recently and all it needed was a cleaning and new seals for the back and mirror.

I love the Leica M's but out of my cost frame. Not sure this was mentioned but the Bessa rangefinders are a great buy. I had one and love it but it didn't do well with heavy use. If your not shooting many rolls per-day or whatever, it would serve you well...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    The FE is automatic + manual exposure and is battery dependent. The FM is manual exposure only, and the battery runs only the meter.

I bought my FE in 1980, and it's never let me down. I shot it side by side with an F2A for years. Still have both cameras.

I only suggest this, because if you're used to Nikon gear, then it's an easy step. Plus, you can always use your manual focus lenses with the F100 and Nikon digital bodies.

The Olympus cameras are very nice as well. I can also recommend the Pentax MX and the Minolta XD11 with the f/2.0 45mm lens (a nice little package).

Keep in mind that if you buy into any Japanese camera from the 1980s or earlier, you're probably going to have to replace the foam light seals. Plus, the camera might need to be overhauled (cleaned, etc.). You might want to look for a camera that's been serviced.
    Yes, well said... A great place for refurbished or repair is CameraRepair http://www.camerarepair.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin