Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,931   Online: 1111

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TEX View Post
    Yes but it's not a 35 mm SLR.
    You are right. My mistake. I'm used to thinking about SLR:s as 35 mm so I did not make the distinction.

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
    Is this really the future of photography? I hope not but fear you might be right. How many photographers will convert to film rather than shooting video?

r

Mats
    It might be still far. Philip Greenspun wrote in a film article (back around 1998) that in 10 years we would be picking frames off a video, we still don't.
    But in a mid to longer term future, it might be very possible.

Shooter
    35mm
    They'll probably make d*g*t*a* stills cameras for those who don't want to shoot video, then those will be phased out and there will be a minority community mourning the death of 'real' photography.

Where have we seen that before?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1994 View Post
    They'll probably make d*g*t*a* stills cameras for those who don't want to shoot video, then those will be phased out and there will be a minority community mourning the death of 'real' photography.

Where have we seen that before?
    Oh the irony!

r

Mats

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thats a lot of questions in one post. Why dont you ask about Life, the Universe, and Everything as well?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Oh the irony!

r

Mats
    "He who laughs last, laughs best"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Thats a lot of questions in one post. Why dont you ask about Life, the Universe, and Everything as well?
    No need. Thanks to the late Mr Adams I already know that. 42.

r

Mats

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems like still-quality video will be the future for digital - ie being able to isolate a single frame from video and have it be of as good quality as a still shot. The other thing coming in sensor design is much more efficient light capture, which means you'll be able to shoot at ISO 100,000 with ISO 100 image quality. So it seems there's plenty on the digital horizon to make people buy and buy again.

My guess (hope?) is film will be around for a while. My reasoning is that as digital continues to evolve it becomes less and less like traditional photography. In my opinion it is already a medium unto itself, rather than a digital version of film photography. So perhaps there will be room for both, and a continuing market for 35mm film. The question though is will you be able to buy a camera? What will film users do when their cameras eventually die on them? Will Nikon make the F6 for much longer? I doubt it. For crying out loud, they don't even build their new lenses with aperture rings. So, while it seems people are still buying alot of film from Ilford, will a lack of camera availability eventually force people to give up on film? Or will a continuing demand for film drive one or two manufacturers to make cameras? Will anyone make SLRs, or will all film users be forced into the rangefinder niche? Sad stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jack

Yes, they are still making and selling new Nikon F6's. They are still expensive too - about £1500 last time I looked. I own an F5 and have read many articles about the F5 vs the F6 and the general view is that the F6 does not offer that much more over the F5 to merit the investmenet, unless carrying a very heavy camera is an issue! My F5 with my non-VR 80-200 lens weights a tonne!!!
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In the past, during the reign of film, camera manufacturers used to depend on Kodak-Fuji-Ilford-Agfa to come up with new films with new properties that gave the users new and improved experiences.

Now in the d...l age there are few new films coming out and the pixel count of a DX or FX sensor can not grow much above present values. What will the future of 35 mm SLR be? Ever more in-camera software? Or will the SLR merge with the camcorder?
    How will Nikon-Canon be able to get punters to buy a new camera every 3 year as they have done during the last decade?
    Is there a major paradigm shift in the 35 mm SLR future?

What are your valued opinion?

r

Mats
    Sorry to be terse, but this kind of post really annoys me.

First, you are asking multiple unrelated questions in one post.
    Second, you are asking questions about the future that really cannot be answered.
    Third, you are off-topic with questions about digital.
    Fourth, you have random general questions.

"In the past, during the reign of film, camera manufacturers used to depend on Kodak-Fuji-Ilford-Agfa to come up with new films with new properties that gave the users new and improved experiences."
    -Who else other than film manufacteres would manufacture new film?

What will the future of 35 mm SLR be?
    -They will be few and far between. nobody really knows. Does that help?

Ever more in-camera software?
    Digital, yes. Film, Doubtfully, but who knows?

Or will the SLR merge with the camcorder?
    -Its allready doing that. Whether an SLR-like video/still camera style continues is comepletely dependant on the market and manufactures. Not likeley to go away anytime soon. Does it matter?

How will Nikon-Canon be able to get punters to buy a new camera every 3 year as they have done during the last decade?
    -The same way any company does. Did you really need to ask that?

Is there a major paradigm shift in the 35 mm SLR future? -Yes. 42 of them.

What are your valued opinion?
    -I like mustard better than ketchup.

-
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin