Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,364   Online: 1021

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Personally, I think d-SLR days are numbered. SLR technology was developed as a way to see what the camera sees TTL. It is a problem unique to film. Digital has no such problem, it can show you what is on the sensor via lcd. Design efficiency will eventually replace mirror systems with electronic viewfinders as EVs get better. d-SLRs are a bridge between the film past and the digital future. You can already see that mirrors get in the way of video. The only value d-SLRs have is in the legacy lens systems that film users had and a working interface that was familiar to a large market of users.

EVIL is the future of image capture (notice, I don't say photography).

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What shall become of the camera? Lets look at the most available camera in the world, the Kodak disposable 35mm camera. If you look at one of the newer boxes that they come in you might see that they have recycled, not sold, not manufactured, not scraped, but recycled 1,400,000,000 of these cameras, that is the returned and processed count to date, and I don't see signs of them slowing down because they make a nice selection of them and they are all over the place. With that many cameras being made and coming back for processing I think they are doing ok.

Well made SLR's will last a good number of years, but glass is turning to a APS size sweet spot that clips the corners on 35mm photos so I think we will eventually watch lenses leave us behind.

As for film, as long as someone is making those disposable cameras they will be making 35mm film so I think we are safe.

Who knows the way things are going we may soon see a 8-1000mm digital camera with a full size 35MP 35mm sensor, that will be a bad day for film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Sorry to be terse, but this kind of post really annoys me.
    Chill dude

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Another thing that chaps my hyde about the OP's post is that he does not differentiate between SLR types...there are FILM and DIGITAL (DSLR).

Make the distinction because your lack of clarity has bollocks this thread!
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
    Chill dude

Mats
    Thanks. I was being quite a jerk. I apologize.

Darin
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know where it's going, but I'm glad I'm not at the helm. Mention of the F got me to thinking: between the F and the release of the F2 over 10 years went by. The non-film industry does not have that luxury. Every six months or less seems to be the norm.

Looking at dSLRs and compacts from now and then, my guess is that the camera will do just about everything for the end user. Four years ago non-film cameras took pictures for you, now they have millions of pre-set "scenes" and in-camera adjustment ability. I wonder if end users will end up like the humans in Wall-E: fat, immobile and stoic because the plastic box does everything for them.

Or maybe not.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can a dSLR do this?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shimoda View Post
    [...]
    How will Nikon-Canon be able to get punters to buy a new camera every 3 year as they have done during the last decade?
    Is there a major paradigm shift in the 35 mm SLR future?

Seriously, I wonder about the sanity of people spending big money on cameras they have little on idea coming to grips with, meaning they have little or no foundation knowledge in photography. This is how consumers fall on their sword: we, as film users, have skills and experience to put cameras to use in any situation, but too often now, skill, knowledge and experience play second fiddle to getting your hands on a fancy piece of MPX hardware.

I think Nikon and Canon, among others, have made a grave mistake in pinning their fortunes on d****. Of course, both marques still have film bodies they wouldn't dream of ditching. Neither Nikon nor Canon are selling any substantial digital stock here in Australia at this time and discounting is heavy with rampant competition. Incredibly, now furniture retailers are calling themselves camera experts. So, too, supermarketss, for so long the place you go for pillows, mincemeat and batteries, have "the best camera for your picture taking". Ugh—!

There is a visible perception that the public are becoming tired of being nobbled for the 'next best thing that does everything better than the last' (read: ever increased levels of automation). The turnover is sluggish and the technology is too overpowering for Mums and Dads who are the first to come in and complain about the camera when in fact the fault is with themselves and lack of education, both at grassroots photography and at the critical interface of computer literacy. In the upper echelons of traditional film based photography, handing over this artform to be usurped by a computer is viewed on a par with shooting Bambi.

Happily, sales of pre-loved 35mm (or all film-based equipment) continue at a steady rate, particularly evident in professional dealerships. There are collectors, folio shooters, artists, students, alternative process practitioners... a large, well-educated market there for the taking. Stagnancy in 5x4 and 6x6 and other formats appears to be because of uncertainty of the availability of film for those niche applications (Fujifilm's discontinuation of 5x4 quickload sounded a warning bell). So sales of film cameras chug along nicely. Why is that so? Because film-based cameras do not have self-disposing obsolescence. What was great in 1990 is still great now. That's something we on APUG know anyway, right?
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I don't care.
    I kinda agree! I usually but used equipment.
    Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Can a dSLR do this?
    Isnt that what Sony is doing digitally with the TX7?
    Last edited by darinwc; 06-09-2010 at 07:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin