Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,782   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Questions Regarding Nikon CF-29 Case for FE/FM Series

I am thinking of getting a CF-29 case, but I am wondering if the case is designed well. Is there an opening on the back so that one may access the on/off switch for the MD-12 (or MD-11)? Is there an opening in the front so that one may access the socket for the MR-3 vertical shutter release? I welcome any comments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To each their own. To me, camera cases are like wearing thick heavy gloves while trying to thread a needle.

Just my 2 cents.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I have one of these cases but I don't use it as much as I thought I would. It does have the opening in the back for the on off switch. I don't remember if it has the access for the MR-3. I'm 99% sure it does. I have an MR-3. I just moved to a new house an have not located the case in all the boxes to look for sure. I used to use the lower part of an everyready case on every camera for protection. I've worn out some in the past.
    I do a different type of photography now, so I don't use them as often. I discovered when I use the motor drive I tend to go through more film and the case slows down film changing times. If I was outdoors a lot or in dusty climates I would use this case more. Hope this helps.

Shooter
    35mm
    Both replies are helpful.

ken472: your reply is very helpful. I have been hoping there would be access for both the on/off switch and the MR-3. I saw a picture of the case on eBay, and it appeared to suggest the opposite (that neither is accessible). It was, however, a somewhat dark picture.

Shooter
    35mm
    Could anyone verify whether there is an opening for the MR-3 socket?

Shooter
    35mm
    I must admit I made a technical error. I have the CF-9 not the CF-29. According to the Nikon Compendium the CF-9 was for the FM/FE+MD+50f1.4. The CF-29 was for the FM2/3a/FE2+MD+50f1.4. I have used the CF-9 on my Fm2n and FE2 with no problem. I found my CF-9 and it does have the cut out for the MR-3. I believe there must only be a slight difference between the two cases. Hope this helps.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, this helps--thank you. I gather the CF-29 would also have the cut out. This would seem to make sense.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The CF-29 is just the updated version of the CF-9 for the later cameras. IIRC, it's mainly a change of the stitching on the flap, just like with the CF-27 and 28 cases. I used to have a CF-9 for my FM2n's. Used it somewhat frequently. Mainly when either a MD-11 or 12 were attached.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, J...I may perhaps opt for an FM2n, too. I once had once very briefly, but returned it because I did not like the two bulges in the viewfinder. It also had a loose film advance lever. After doing some further research, I have recently discerned that this FM2n (which I purchased on eBay) had the wrong screen in it. As far as I can tell, it had the FM's screen in it, as the FM2n's screen is improved (no black bulges cutting into the field of view).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There is a black bulge on an FM2/FM2n body as well. Is for the shutter speed indication inside the viewfinder. It sounds like the FM2n that you bought was actually an FM with an FM2n top, which would explain the loose film advance lever. Essentially, you bought a parts camera that was being sold as a working FM2n.

-John
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin