Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,438   Online: 900

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for adding one to my list guys.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've got a friend with the FD 85/1.2L lens that he's looking to sell, I should probably talk him into joining here and listing it in the classifieds. I'd buy it from him but I already have the 85/1.2 Aspherical (the older breechlock version) - Canon has made this very nice lens for a very long time!

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also have a FD 85/1.2. A great lens and I won't gave it up for anything!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've got the 85L F1.2 and the 85mm F1.8....they both show some purple frenging, but worse when used on a DSLR. They both are great lenses, although the F1.8 model shows purple fringing if one is not careful.

Someone mentioned the 50L...this lens is not in the same league as the 85L...the 50L has design problems; it does not focus sharp across combos of focus points, distances from subject, and f-stops....it is flawed, sadly. I have the 50L too and after Canon has tried to re-calibrated it three times, I have lost all faith in it. However when one knows it's temperment, it's weaknesses, and such, one can still get great sharp pictures from it, but not without special camera workflow.

Now these other L's are in the same league as the 85L: 35L, 135L, 200L....the 50L is Canon's shame :-(
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't know about the autofocus version, but the manual focus version of the FD 50/1.2L focuses wherever you decide to focus it.

flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah the even older 55/1.2 Aspherical is an amazing performer too. Not sure what happened with the 50/1.2 L

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    I can't say enough about the 85mmf1.2 mk1!! I have used this lens on both the 5Dmk1 and my EOS1N-HS. This lens was used in a studio and on a photo shoot on a sailing vessel. Great glass at a high price but worth every dollar.

Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Suffice it to say that if God made a lens any better than the Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L, he kept it to himself.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, the Canon 85 f 1.2 is a terrific lens.

If you haven't bought it, may I suggest trying the Zeiss 85mm f 1.4 lens. It is a Zeiss Planar construction, terrific optics at about half the price of the Canon. How'd they do dat? It's a manual focus, which I like for Portraits and I can make sure the eyes are tack sharp and I don't have to worry about the auto focus finding something else. And it's a 1.4 rather than a 1.2.

Whatever!

Just thought I would mention it to you.

Have a wonderful summer if you're located on that part of our earth.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    Yes, the Canon 85 f 1.2 is a terrific lens.

If you haven't bought it, may I suggest trying the Zeiss 85mm f 1.4 lens. It is a Zeiss Planar construction, terrific optics at about half the price of the Canon. How'd they do dat? It's a manual focus, which I like for Portraits and I can make sure the eyes are tack sharp and I don't have to worry about the auto focus finding something else. And it's a 1.4 rather than a 1.2.

Whatever!

Just thought I would mention it to you.

Have a wonderful summer if you're located on that part of our earth.
    I have the 85L, and I never worry about the AF sensor finding "something else". Our EOS bodies have many focus points to manually choose from, so picking and choosing the one to put on an eye is as easy as ABC-123...so not sure what you're talking about ;-) With AF there is no error, as you need only place a sensor over the subject's eye....but with manual focus, a less then bright view finder, and human error, you can be sure this introduces a much wider margin for error.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin