Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,347   Online: 985

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EOS 3 AF points

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To be honest I only spent $100 on the camera, I'm not looking to send it to a shop and I'll live with the off centre AF lights if necessary. I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and if it's a common problem or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The focusing screens are the same as for the EOS 1V, and seven are still available. Check them out. They're only $32.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
    Now of course if we're talking about a damaged camera, then of course a factory rep or a camera pro would be the best bet.
    That is exactly what he was talking about, and I also agree with his prognosis. The screen is not sitting properly in its place, likely because its place is tweaked.

Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    The focusing screens are the same as for the EOS 1V, and seven are still available. Check them out. They're only $32.
    Indeed. However, the ones that were introduced after the EOS 3 (such as the type S) will cause the camera to meter improperly, so if you use your in-camera meter, take care to get one that works with the 3's meter.

Personally, I got the S screen anyhow, since I don't ever use my in-camera meter. Works like a charm.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    That is exactly what he was talking about, and I also agree with his prognosis. The screen is not sitting properly in its place, likely because its place is tweaked.
    You make a very good point, one that I had not considered. The focusing screen is frameless, therefore a new screen would likely do no good. It would almost have to be the seating in the camera body. Best have a pro look at it, if it's something you care about. Personally, that sort of thing would drive me nuts, and I would be delighted to spend whatever (within reason) getting it fixed.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Pretty sure it's not to do with the screen. I reseated the screen, tested a different screen, reseated the different screen, removed the screen entirely, nothing changes the skewed position of the AF point lights.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The AF points are superimposed onto laser-etched markings on the screen matched to emitters lined up directly above, and of course, any misalignment of the screen will be very obvious. I think a more sinister proposition is that the camera has received a severe knock that has bumped the superimposition emitters out of alignment, but at the very most, such misalignment would manifest as only a little more flare — that is to say, flare that is significantly more noticeable and adverse than normally occurs during the illumination process. The effect has been seen in several well-used and battered EOS 1/1N bodies where the screen has been frequently interchanged.

Warped screen frames are the most common problem where changes have been made hurriedly, clumsily or incompletely — it is a delicate operation with the potential for damage to the screen especially from slippage with the tool, or damage to the frame by forcing an incorrectly seated screen. Irrespective of how much you paid for the camera, a bench examination by a qualified professional is called for now that everybody here has proferred as much as can be without actually physically inspecting the body.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    The screen of the EOS 3 has no markings for the AF points. They are simply projected on the screen. The 1 and 1N have different screens with markings.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In the 1N, the markings are etched into the prism (not the screen). On the 3, neither the screen or prism has any etching - I think the AF lights are projected like a reflex sight. Presumably the only thing that could misalign them is the projecting device being off then? Which would be deep inside the camera body - I think I'll just live with it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin