Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,602   Online: 1279

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EOS 3 AF points

Shooter
    Medium Format

EOS 3 AF points

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and/or knows of a fix... I did a quick search but nothing turned up

The AF points on my EOS 3 are slightly tilted (maybe 3-5 degrees) and skewed (about a half to one AF box downwards) so they don't like up properly with the ellipse in the viewfinder. Presumably the light that projects the points onto the focusing screen has moved slightly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the focusing screen properly seated?
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep, manual and autofocus focus accurately so it's presumably not the focus screen. I wonder if there's a way to open up the prism area and realign the projector?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I wonder is something is damaged in your EOS 3...I have three bodies and none of them have this issue....I would remove the focus screen, clean it, clean the area where it gets inserted too....maybe just send the body in for a general CLA....
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you say autofocus is ok, do you mean it autofocuses properly where the "tilted" point is or where the point "should" be? The AF points on my EOS 3 don't line-up exactly either, they are all a tiny bit to the right (which is most obvious at the centre point), based on the circular area of the screen.

This is due to the screen not being seated properly. By that, I mean that the screen is seated ok as far as manual focusing (manual focusing is affected by the distance between screen-mirror-viewfinder, autofocus is done on the mirror so the screen is irrelevant) is concerned but there is still a bit of give left/right, so you might want to try and reseat it.

I found the best way to do that is to turn the camera upside down, unlatch the screen holder so the screen can move around, then look through the viewfinder (camera still upside down otherwise the screen will fall off!) and tap the body lightly left/right/back/front until the screen is where you want it to be.
    Hasselblad 501CM, Mamiya RB67SD, Rollei 6003SRC, Nikonos V, Canon EOS 3

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As far as I can tell, it autofocuses where the AF points should be. Otherwise it wouldn't really be a problem. I've tried reseating the screen and switching it out for my EOS 1N screen, neither helped. It's been like this since I got the camera as well. Anyone know if a repair manual is available?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An EOS 3 isn't really a DIY repair sort of camera. If it were mine I would take it to the nearest reputable repairman, or even contact Canon Service.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A warped screen frame, through exerting too much pressure during re-seating, is the most likely cause.

Echoing a previous post, investigation and remedy is not a DIY task and is best left to a service centre.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well if reseating the screen doesn't fix it, then as many said it looks like a repair job for the service centre.
    Hasselblad 501CM, Mamiya RB67SD, Rollei 6003SRC, Nikonos V, Canon EOS 3

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    A warped screen frame, through exerting too much pressure during re-seating, is the most likely cause.

Echoing a previous post, investigation and remedy is not a DIY task and is best left to a service centre.
    Actually changing out the screen is in fact a user task. When you buy a replacement screen the package even comes with a little tool to unseat and seat the screen...it is very easy. I have found that the use of this tool is optional. Unless an owner is very, very incompetent to easy mechanical process I would not suggest going to a pro shop.

Now of course if we're talking about a damaged camera, then of course a factory rep or a camera pro would be the best bet.
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin