Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,227   Online: 827

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Yashica ML lenses for 35mm SLRs.....

I was just browsing the usual place(s) for a standard Yashica ML 50mm lens and was shocked at some of the prices I found...it used to be that ML glass was cheap as dirt...now I see "Buy-It-Now" prices that are, in many cases, four or five times what the item cost new (when it was still available new).

what gives?

PS: it used to be that the Yashica ML 50mm f1.9 was universally disliked....that has also apparently changed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    $20.00 and I'll send you a nice looking 50mm 1.9 ML

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am sorry...I cannot tell if you're joking or being serious. Anyway, I am NOT soliciting offers just wondering what has happened to the market for this type?

I see the prices falling drastically on almost every other type of 35mm manual focus lens. The notable exceptions seem to be the classics that can be adapted to new, unrelated purposes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I noticed prices going up on some ML lenses. Any that I have I'm quite happy with. My ML 21mm produces nice images. I've always liked Yashica equipment.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    yeah, the ML lenses always seemed to me to be grossly underrated. I bought a beautiful FX-3 super 2000 a few years ago thinking it would be a nice way to get into Contax-Zeiss glass...what I found out was that there was no need...the ML glass was fantastic (and cheap!).

I still have no idea why prices seem to have skyrocketed...? The f/2.0 and f/1.9 50mm ML lenses used to go unsold at $9.95...
    Maybe this is just a (very) optimistic seller and a lack of other realistically priced items?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would suspect "pixel peepers" are buying them. Some are approaching Zeiss levels which I find ludicrous even though they are good lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I no longer mind that people are discovering the light under the Yashica bushel, as I've got just about all the ML lenses I want. My most expensive buy was the 21mm at £175, and I've seen the 24mm go for more than that now, whereas I got mine at less than a third. Some of the zooms are no slouches either, and I was fortunate to get my favourites, the 28-85 and 70-210, for a song.

Obviously I've no right to a say in what people do with theirs, but it would be nice to think they were being used on film rather than adapter-mounted in front of sensors. Most of those who fancy Zeiss glass can generally now get it in their own native mounts.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having a bagful of the various Yashica Y/C mount lenses, I've often wondered if there's a comprehensive list of just what all the various configurations are. I've got 50mm in a number of aperture designations, 1.4, 1.7, 1.9, 2.0 collected over the years from the bay as afterthoughts to hunting down particular body parts.

Frankly, they're all decent lenses. And since most of my shooting is at f/8 or smaller, the low end doesn't offer me any more light.

So, how many configurations are there of these lenses, and what's the differences? Someone got a comprehensive guide?
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 06-16-2010 at 11:15 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Forget what people are selling the lenses for.. look at what people are paying for them. Check the completed items on ebay first.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Actually, the sale prices on ebay are getting less and less reliable as there is more "salting the mine".
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin