Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,232   Posts: 1,532,900   Online: 959

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

HELP!! Canon AE-1P winder lever stuck!

Hi everyone,

So I bought yet another AE-1 today (my third), knowing the body might be toast. It has a minty 50 1.8 worth as much as I paid for the camera, so even if it's for parts, I'm okay with it.

However...I'd like to fix it if I can...here's what it's doing:

The winder lever is stuck (as if it's already been wound up) BUT when I press the shutter button, it's not releasing.

Things I know:
    The battery is good (put one in from my other AE-1s just to make sure)
    The battery compartment is clean, no corrosion, and the camera is getting juice (it beeps and blinks when it has to)
    The mirror is in the DOWN position.

What could be wrong, how can I check it and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
    Tamas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Winder lever might need lubrication (?), self-timer could be $&%&ed and that's somehow what it got set on (open up the bottom and trip the shutter manually to see if this is the case, I can provide a picture if needed).

That's all I can think of right now. Usually it's a self-timer issue although I'm not sure that carries over if you just put in a new / different battery. I've also had batteries that weren't dead but didn't have *quite* enough juice show this problem. But if the shutter trips on another camera with the battery, I guess this isn't the case.

Anyone else got an idea?

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know whether you have already tried this, but you could attach a threaded cable release onto the shutter button and see if this will fire it instead. This may not work, but I have come across shutter releases in the past that were jammed yet would operate with the cable attached to it.
    Carl.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is only relevant to a self-timer issue, but I never knew this, so I figured I'd post it.
    Cancelling the Self-Timer Operation If you should want to cancel the selftimer operation after having pressed the shutter button, depress the battery check button on the top side of the camera. Then, the self-timer lamp stops blinking and the self-timer operation will be cancelled.
    Credit to
    Modern Classic SLR Series
    The Canon AE-1 - Camera Operation Part IV

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remove the bottom cover. Nothing's going to jump out at you.
    1)With the camera upside down & the lens facing you, there's an electromagnet between the center of the body and the right end. This is the release magnet.
    There's a coil wrapped in yellow tape,at the left side of the mg an armature. Push the armature away from the coil. If the camera was cocked it should release. If that didn't work,
    2)To the right of the release magnet is the wind mechanism. There is a locking latch engaged in the winding cam. Disengage the latch & try the advance lever, IF it does not work there's something jammed at the top of the camera. bummer!

referring to #2 above, the most common thing to jam these things is #1 a loose screw and #2 a peg from the shutter speed dial guard. That's the black plastic surrounding the SS dial. If you gently lift the edge of the guard, it should not move! If it lifts, it has lost one of it's rivets into the bowels of the camera. Actually into the wind gears at the very top of the camera.
    I hope it's 1 or 2 'cuz taking the main switch apart is annoying. And you have to take it apart to get to the wind gears.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the responses, everyone! John, I think you've got it (from what I've been reading), but my brain's fried right now and I'm not getting it...

I took the bottom cover off but I can't find the electromagnet (what does it look like? I'm awesome at fixing cars, but suck bigtime when it comes to electronics...but I want to learn!) or the coil wrapped in yellow tape.

Here's what I'm looking at:

By the way, I attached my Powerwinder A, and that did nothing. (not sure if that means anything, but figured, I'd throw it in there). Also, the little black plastic button with the white dot on it is pushed in...and won't budge

Thanks again, I really appreciate it...if I could fix it, it would make my day

PS: the shutter speed dial is firm and in place!

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmm...I'm guessing the release magnet is the one that has the black/red wires going to it and looks like a miniature car battery...and moving the thing on its left away from it should release the shutter? it doesn't

not sure how to unlatch the locking mechanism, though

Shooter
    35mm
    that and that

Shooter
    35mm
    okay thanks...then it's already in the position (away from the coil) where John says it should be...

Now just not sure how to do #2...

Shooter
    35mm
    think I should have the repair manual somewhere in my harddrive.

Nathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin