Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,635   Online: 847

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Opinion on V3000S Camera?

Vivitar, K-mount apparently. I'm doing a swap for one of these and I'm wondering if anyone has shot with one. Looks good to me, but I don't know Vivitar cameras at all. Anyone familar? Any quirks that I should be aware of? I found the manual online already. Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh geeze, 41 people have taken a look and no one's actually got an opinion of or used one? This can't be good, laugh. Ah well, it's not going to cost me anything except time and some digital work so I guess it can't hurt to do it anyway, but I'm not feeling real confident as to the quality of the camera here. Not much online on these. I'm surprised. Vivitar? I would have thought they'd have been popular.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They are relatively unknown. They were not widely marketed. Even today, a Vivitar K mount body is available brand new....few people even know about it. There was also never a significant cost advantage between the Vivitar K mount bodies and the Pentax K-1000. There were also far better options - the Ricoh KR bodies come to mind...there were others.

These days, with prices on used K-1000 (and the other Pentax K series bodies) hovering around ridiculous lows...there isn't much reason to buy anything but the real thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most likely Cosina made sorta kinda a Nikon FM 10 incognito.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    yeah...that is my impression too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, MagKelly;

The Vivitar 3000S. Hmmmm. I am not sure. I do know that there is a Vivitar V3800N available new right now for less than $200. It is a manual camera and the specifications make me think that it is using a Copal Square shutter. It probably is made by Cosina.

I am speaking from the point of view of someone who does have a Cosina made Vivitar 450/SLD 35mm camera which has an M42 lens mount. I accepted the expense of having a CLA done on it because it does have the Copal Square metal vertically moving shutter inside it. So does my Nikon Nikomat FTN. So far, it has been working well for me. I do have a problem to fix with the light meter, but the rest of the camera is working well. This does seem to be a camera that is a reasonable camera for a student or someone who wants a manual backup camera or someone who wants a camera that he can work with, and not something that is designed to do everything for him. There really are people who like doing things for themselves. I think that the Vivitar V3000S is one of those kind of cameras.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    I like older mostly manual cameras, yes. It's a K-mount which I don't have as yet and it also came with a couple of K-mount lenses which I am excited about. I've looked them up and it's nothing too outstanding but one of them is a semi-decent 200MM zoom and I don't actually have one yet so that's very nice. If I am thinking right, I also can also use my M42 lenses on this but I'll need an M42 to K-mount lens adapter. Anyone have any suggestions as to which one is worth the buy? I'm seeing a lot of them on Amazon and Ebay, but I'm not really sure which one to spring for. I'm told some of them are crap and I'd like to avoid getting anything that will bend or break easily.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would expect this to be a decent camera. Purely aimed at the amateur, of course. It should have a modern meter -- probably center-weighted averaging type.

I think this comes with a so-called kit lens. I would expect decent performance from the lens, as most of these are within a range that can produce good photos.

Are there other more advanced or more sturdy K-mount cameras available? Probably, as the K-mount was in production for decades by Pentax, Ricoh, Chinon and others.

I have an older Vivitar screw-mount camera that's very reliable and fun to use.

Keep in mind that the Vivitar brand of today doesn't appear to be of the same quality as the Vivitar brand of the yesterday.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, ultimately I want a really good professional DSLR/SLR combo, but I'm still learning and any decent camera that I can get my hands on without breaking my budget is definitely a good thing.

This one. NO $$$ involved. It cost me about 9 hours at the computer doing some serious digital imaging work. Likely I'll have to order the batteries for it on Amazon. I can never find camera batteries locally. I won't be able to play with it much till next week but when I do we'll see whether or not it was worth all the work I put into acquiring it.

If not, I guess there's always Ebay....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    and I think Yashica FX3 and an Olympus something aswell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin