Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,246   Online: 1038

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was tear gassed in the late 70s. Some jerk thought it funny to set off a large military gas canister in the Griffith Park tunnel (Los Angeles). I was riding my motorcycle into the tunnel and thought it odd that 2 really tough "Hells Angels" types had dropped their bikes and were lying on the grass having a picnic. I should have known better, no one simply drops a hog onto the ground! They had just come out of the tunnel/gas. They weren't having a picnic, they couldn't see! I drove into the tunnel, and could barely see enough to "aim for the light" at the other end. I blared my horn the whole way, I couldn't tell what lane I was in! Far more gas that one would typically get in an outdoor situation. They took the two "Hells Angels" types away in an ambulance. Me, I went through a few minutes later... it had dissipated a bit... I got my eyes washed out and sent home.

I doubt typical police outdoor levels of tear gas will harm a camera or film or you. Crazy protesters and outnumbered police are what you should worry about. Be safe!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll also reccomend being wary of the police...
    While hopefully the Canadian police are less inclined to gratuitous violence than, say, Italian or U.S. police, all police forces in the World seem to act irrationally and over-energetically under stress.

Also beware of the "provocateur" type demonstrators (more than likely masked), who may be demonstrators, police (good evidence points to that sometimes being the case during the 2001 Genova G7) or who knows what... They'll probably take great exception to being photographed whatever the case.

Tear gas is just discomfort... Keep your head.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In hard times the Authorities are prone to extremely unpredicable behavior regardless of nationality. Be very wary of everyone. And again good luck.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Whatever happens, please post some pictures here.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I suspect the black hoodie crew won't get close enough to get gassed. DTTO is going to be sewn up tight and I doubt there will be any WTO-style battles. Radical chic aside, there likely won't be much point or opportunity to shoot much anything apart from fences with G20 security so tight. Leave the Leica at home.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tear gasses as a class are called Lachrrymators. As seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tear_gas they act against enzymes, but I can also tell you that they release very acidic materials such as Hydrochloric Acid. So, I suggest that you take care with the camera and film so as to prevent corrosion and other problems. The release of these corrosive components only take place in the presence of water, so keep the camera, lens and film dry.

I have made one particularly potent variety of tear gas in the lab at one time or another so I am well aware of the properties. I have also worked with many Lachrymators. They are no fun!

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I suspect the black hoodie crew won't get close enough to get gassed. DTTO is going to be sewn up tight and I doubt there will be any WTO-style battles. Radical chic aside, there likely won't be much point or opportunity to shoot much anything apart from fences with G20 security so tight. Leave the Leica at home.
    Thanks for all the answers!

Not to make that thread too political, believe me: there IS gonna have riots, if the black block doesn't start it, the cops will make sure that sh*t will happen. Why? because they have to justify the 1 billion $ budget.

Police had trouble makers among the crowd in Montebello for the north american summit, and last G20 in Pittsburg was the same. And no, it is not conspiracy theory it is well documented by well established medias. See CBC about the Montebello summit.

Again, thanks!

K

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ear protection is also a good idea. The Toronto police have brought in some sort of sonic canons for crowd dispersal
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's what I learned shooting riots in South Korea.

1. Wet handkerchief over mouth saves you from inhaling the powder.
    2. Swim goggles keep the gas out of your eyes.
    3. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING NEAR YOUR FACE UNTIL YOU HAVE WASHED YOUR HANDS TWICE.
    4. Your cameras will stink, but it will eventually go away.
    5. Wipe down any hard surfaces with a lightly wet rag when you're back from shooting.
    6. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING NEAR YOUR FACE UNTIL YOU HAVE WASHED YOUR HANDS TWICE.

If you can get a gas mask with large eyepieces, it will make your experience much better. If you cannot aquire a gas mask, then the swim goggles and wet handkerchief tied around your head will do pretty good.

Michael Slade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kristopher_lawrence View Post
    Let's face it: there is gonna be A LOT of tear gas out here.
    I certainly hope not. I wish anarchist idiots, liberal apologists and other domestic terrorists will leave my peaceful hometown city alone. I hate the G8/G20 too and think $1 billion spent on security is a travesty but still this thread is just marketing to egg criminals on to riot. It should be deleted or sent to the soapbox.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 06-20-2010 at 08:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin