Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,522   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

G-20 Toronto : Tear Gas and Film/Cameras

Hi all,

I am heading soon to Toronto to cover the G-20 rally. Let's face it: there is gonna be A LOT of tear gas outhere.

I am planning to bring two cameras (one Leica, and one K-1000 in case things get too hot to risk the expensive stuff) and a lot of Tri-X.

I was wondering if anybody has experience of the effect of CS gas on film/cameras.

Any other good advice is welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The cameras will be fine in tear gas. It will irritate only your mucus membranes, not the metal and plastic parts of your cameras.

Don't panic when you get gassed. You will live. It will not kill you. Just keep breathing steadily no matter how funny it feels, and walk (i.e. don't run, trip, panic, stumble, stampede, etc.) to an area with some fresh air. The gas is not lethal, but you need oxygen, so just keep breathing. You will be OK in a few minutes after reaching fresh air. If you are from a dense urban area, it may not affect you badly at all. I had to get gassed in boot camp, and it was a pain in the ass, but definitely not horrible. Some people were more heavily affected, but being from L.A. my whole life, I seemed to be less sensitive to the gas.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-19-2010 at 02:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    The cameras will be fine in tear gas. It will irritate only your mucus membranes, not the metal and plastic parts of your cameras.

Don't panic when you get gassed. You will live. It will not kill you. Just keep breathing steadily no matter how funny it feels, and walk (i.e. don't run, trip, panic, stumble, stampede, etc.) to an area with some fresh air. The gas is not lethal, but you need oxygen, so just keep breathing. You will be OK in a few minutes after reaching fresh air. If you are from a dense urban area, it may not affect you badly at all. I had to get gassed in boot camp, and it was a pain in the ass, but definitely not horrible. Some people were more heavily affected, but being from L.A. my whole life, I seemed to be less sensitive to the gas.
    dito,

NTC SD?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

DLM
    Shooter
    35mm
    Yep. CS is not that bad. If I got through it in a tiny shack with some a-hole burning twice as much as he was supposed to, then I'm sure out in an open area won't be too bad.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Be careful. Tear gas is the least of your worries.

Shooter
    35mm
    Indeed, be careful. I have been a part of various protests, and I believe in peaceful opposition. Not all agree with this, and thus exercise caution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd be worried about protesters spray painting cameras. Happened at a summit or similar event in Halifax and I think they were a write off. How much do you love your Leica ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Careful out there. It wasn't the protesters here in St Paul, MN that were dangerous -- it was the police. They were swinging batons and firing mace at anyone and everyone. Especially people photographing the police beating people and firing mace.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My son got kicked in the lens (which was attached to the camera which was pressed to his face) by a policeman during one of the various Pittsburgh Steelers related joyous riots. I second the notion of being more wary of the police than the protesters.

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post

We were gassed during boot camp here in Norway too. Turned out one of the guys was completely immune. He even smoked a cigarette while laughing at the rest of us choking. Hilarious in hinsight.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin