Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,075   Online: 788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

lens choices for Nikon EM?

My wife just brought me a Nikon EM which looks as if it were never taken out of it's box, trouble is, the lens has a case of fungus of the innards.

I know this camera is pretty limited by design, but I like it's size and wonder what lenses you'd choose to replace the damaged one with?

A 35mm would be nice, as well as something in the 75-100 mm range. I don't want to spend a lot to keep this one in use, I use Canon FD and a Leica Barnack for most of my 135 work and older lenses are just fine.

Eli

Shooter
    35mm
    You'll find the series "E" 50mm lens to be an excellent performer if you're short of cash. I have one and am very pleased with it. Most Nikon lenses sell for more than their Canon FD equivalents because they can be used on DSLRs. You simply won't find much, reasonably priced, that compares with the excellent FD glass.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know... $150 for a pretty 105/2.5 AI? That's cheap for that legendary lens. Under $100 for the Series E 100/2.8. I just bought a really pretty 24/2.8 AI for $160.

The 35/2.5 E is a reasonably good lens but I think the 35/2.8 Nikkor is better.

The Series E 135/2.8 is dirt cheap and you can get an AI 135/2.8 for not much more.

The Nikkor 85/1.8 is legendary but slightly pricey. The 85/2 AI is nearly as good and much cheaper.

If you want a zoom, it's hard to go wrong with the 70-150 or 80-200 Series E zooms. They tend toward loose zooming, but optically they are terrific.

Essentially any Nikon lens that has AI meter coupling and an aperture ring will work on the EM. That means AI-converted, AI, AI-S, Series E, AF, AF-D, AF-I, AI-P and AF-S lenses will work. G-series will not because they lack an aperture ring.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AI, AI-S, and AF-D lenses can be used, no AF-G lenses. There are tons of Nikon lenses available on KEH.com. Personally I would choose a 35mm f/2; it's not very expensive but it's fast.

ninja'd

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The E-series is not too bad, although the 50mm appears to be better than the 35mm.
    The E-series 75-150 is great, but also the manual focus 80-200.

This is a great resource on Nikkor lenses. All lenses mentioned above should be listed and reviewed:
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 28-70mm 3.5-4.5 AF zoom is quite a good lens for a relatively low cost. It is also light in weight, which is a consideration for use with the EM.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd probably go with the 35/2, 50/1.8, and 85/2, AI or AI-S.

The 50/1.8 is remarkably good and cheap. The 35/2 is good, not as good as the 35/1.4, but the 1.4 is very expensive. The 85/2 is ordinary, not legendary like the 1.4, but again, the 1.4 is terribly expensive. Those three lenses are not expensive and will serve you well. I find the 35/2 to be my most-used lens, but that's a matter of style.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks all, this is just what I wanted to know. I took another look at the lens I have and it's a goner for sure.

Eli

Shooter
    35mm
    I would go for the Nikkor 35/2.8 and the Nikkor 105/2.5. Both are outstanding.

Shooter
    35mm
    I recently bought a nikon em at a 2nd hand store that had a 50mm f1.2 nikkor on it. MINT! needless to say it was the find of a lifetime. paid only $30. The lens alone is worth more then 10 times that. LOL

That would be the best lens choice, but a 50mm f1.8 would be a lot cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin