Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,704   Online: 743

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Add fish, use for a display.
    LOL.

Was it one of these? Probably much cheaper to buy this one (or similar) than to try to fix it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    LOL.

Was it one of these? Probably much cheaper to buy this one (or similar) than to try to fix it.
    that sure is cheap. it looks very similar, but it doesn't say "maxxum" on mine. doing a quick lookaround on ebay, i saw that a replacement would cost me about €130 (used) on ebay. while this is not really much money, but i really need a tele for medium format- the 150mm for the mamiya 7. so i don't want to spend money on a small format lens right now.
    so, i'm mostly interested in damage control and possibly using it with a few defects or just living without it. (or some kind of cheapish repair... of course).
    still thanks for searching out that offer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Find some one with a vacuum chamber, whack it in that and leave it for 10 minutes.

Big rubber stamp manufacturers who have made Optimark stamps, or Royalmark stamps in the USA may still have their vacuum chamber, I still have and use mine. Wonderful for electric drills and electronic stuff dunked in water.

Refrigeration mechanics will also have a vacuum pump for boiling off the water in refrigeration lines, but probably won't have the chamber.

Trust me, they work wonderfully quick.

Mick.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    Find some one with a vacuum chamber, whack it in that and leave it for 10 minutes.
    Wouldn't that also remove any lubricant?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well with the handful of lenses I have vacuumed for other people, plus the power tools caught in torrential rain, it didn't appear to be a problem.

Basically the vacuum makes water have a lower boiling point, so the water boils at or around 4ºC in my vacuum chamber, I can create more vacuum and boil water off at a higher temperature, but that is just a waste of energy.

If the lubricant is water based, it would certainly create a drying effect. However what is the alternative?

Also mobile phones caught in pockets whilst push bike riding, are sucked dry in a matter of minutes.

Every one should have one. Vacuum chamber, that is!

Mick.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have access to a Vacuum oven you might try that at a really low heat, note the term VACUUM OVEN, don't toss it in your kitchen oven or microwave. Also do not apply power until you are absolutely sure that there is no moisture inside. If it was bottled water you may be alright as that has less suspended salts than tap or sea water, but unless it is distiled water there is always something in water that will leave residue. I have rescued Cell Phones, Digital Cameras, PDA's, watches and a few other electronic goodies with the vacuum oven, the big trick is not having power applied when water is added and washing with the cleanest water you can get your hands on before drying. You probably got your lens wet with the cleanest water possible. Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin