Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,163   Online: 1142

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon FM2, interesting problem?

I've recently acquired an FM2, and have an Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AI that i've been using on my Nikon EM and Nikon D300 with no troubles.

Strangely, I ran my first roll to find it seems at higher speeds (1/1000+), i'm getting this interesting streaking on my images.

I'm not sure if this is a known issue, or a one off with mine but i'm curious to learn more about it if anyone is knowledgeable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I also have such a camera, but have not noticed anything similar. My guess is that the shutter is moving in an uneven speed over the film. The problem seems to be very consistent between the pictures.

good luck
    Erik

Shooter
    35mm
    Really interesting. Looks like an internal light reflection in the body, but it's too consistent between shots and that's not speed related.

A shutter curtain with a small indentation on its border would produce exactly this effect (this model has a vertical travel shutter).

Don't know an easy way to check them, though.
    Last edited by MPandolfo; 06-24-2010 at 11:43 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: additional info
    Marcelo

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Looks like a shutter blade issue.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Does the stripe extend into the sprocket hole area at the edge of the film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ack, something I've overlooked completely!
    I opened the rear door of the camera and realized the opening and closing curtains were interlocked!
    somehow the closing blade had been torn, interlocking with the opening curtain.

Now that i've "bent" the interlocking blade straight, everything seems smooth. Wind and all. If it is just this simple issue, i'm curious how the negatives will look now, before I send it in for a new shutter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, that doesn't look good. Hope it works ok for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may have improved the situation, but the question is how long will it perform properly if your repair has worked for now?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by davelam View Post
    Ack, something I've overlooked completely!
    I opened the rear door of the camera and realized the opening and closing curtains were interlocked!
    somehow the closing blade had been torn, interlocking with the opening curtain.

Now that i've "bent" the interlocking blade straight, everything seems smooth. Wind and all. If it is just this simple issue, i'm curious how the negatives will look now, before I send it in for a new shutter.

I think that you've found the problem. And I think that the only fix will be to replace those shutter curtains.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macrorie View Post
    You may have improved the situation, but the question is how long will it perform properly if your repair has worked for now?
    True, improved situation but yeah the question is how long.

For now things have seemed to improve, guess I'll keep a running tab on this thread!

Last edited by davelam; 06-24-2010 at 11:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin