Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,662   Online: 825

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Get the funk out!

Just picked up a sweet little Olynous OM-1 & 3 lenses for a good deal.It's one of the origional OM's and everything works.
    The gear smells like it was stored in the belly of a Yak.A dead Yak.How can I get rid of this offensive odor?

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    maybe store it all with some silica gel for a while?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Set it in a sunny place for a while, time and sun are the best healers of that affliction . I picked up a Yashica D that had been stored in a leather case and inside a leather gear bag. It took several months for that lovely aroma to finally dissipate.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    When I get used gear that reeks of tobacco smoke, I put it in a bag, in a warm spot with a few of those fabric softener sheets for the dryer. It seems to do the trick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    acetic acid eats odours. Freshly ground coffee too. put the camera in a box besides one bowl of one of those for a while, then switch to the other. coffee really is the better alternative. i've heard it makes a good brew too. not sure though, was a dodgy fellow who told me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nice... I'd like my cameras to smell like coffee and I guess coffee that shared a box with a nice camera would be even better

Storing it in a warm, sunny place for a while is what I do. Leave it open and without lens for a week if you don't need it right now and all the smell should be gone. Worked for me every time and I've had a few that looked and smelled like they've been stored in in a bag with an old sandwich for a few years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you can probably use baking soda
    to absorb the smell, if you don't have any
    coffee around that is cheap enough to use as a
    de-smeller.

Shooter
    35mm
    The lingering odour of fag smoke around my Electro 35 gives it character

Shooter
    35mm
    This can be difficult. I once had to give up a Pentax ME SE because of its odor. I tried, for two weeks, various remedies (baking soda, vinegar, organic deodorizer, keeping it in a zip-lock bag, etc.), but nothing worked. Since then, I am always concerned about funky gear. However, since I buy about 99% of my gear from KEH, this has not been a problem. Only eBay items have been funky. Yet another reason why eBay "bargains" are really just "traps."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Baking soda would be my first suggestion too. Lacking that, an ionizing air cleaner (especially one that makes ozone) will make short work of the odors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin