Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,476   Online: 860

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Amateur taking steps, need lens advice

Hello --

For the past few months, I have enjoyed using my grandfather's Canon TL QL. The camera had a 50mm/1.8 FL lens, and I quickly picked up the 135mm/2.5 and a Hanimar 28mm/2.8. I'm growing in experience with these lenses, but I'm considering getting another.

After a few eBay searches, I'm leaning toward a FD zoom, possibly the 28-85 or the 35-105 f/3.5.

Do you have any FD suggestions?
    Is it worth it to get another lens (IQ, color, etc)?

I'm looking for prices less than ~$80 -- the two that I picked up were $40 and $10, respectively.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get a fast 35mm in good condition ( eBay, Keh, etc)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Caipré and welcome to APUG. Not familiar with the FD to give advise other than Canon glass is pretty good and worth getting.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a lot of good, cheap FD glass out there, not all of which says "Canon" on it. I'm not generally a big fan of zooms, but I picked up a Kiron 80-200/4 for practically nothing, and it turns out to be absolutely surgically sharp. Keep an eye on the "non-manufacturer zooms" section at KEH; a lot of stuff goes through there, sometimes extremely cheap.

Some of the Vivitar Series I lenses are supposed to be excellent as well, though I can't testify personally.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Want to make good photographs? Forget the zoom.

Get a 24-50mm prime lens and use that for a year straight. Then figure out where you want to be afterward.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    +1 to what clayne said.
    You have to know, where you are going to know which lenses are right for you. What good is it, if we all recommend some super-wideangle while you prefer animal photography or a monster-zoom if you only like landscape and street?

The 50mm is a good start and you can use it for almost everything - do so and you'll become a better photographer in a few more months or a year. I started out with an old 50/2,8 and used it exclusively for almost a year and it helped me greatly by concentrating on what's necessary and being pretty close to what I saw with my own eyes. Also zooming by walking keeps you fit

Or if you already know exactly, what you like, tell us

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Zooms of that era are generally disappointing. I would second getting a fast 35 or the 85mm f1.8. I have the EOS version of the 85mm and it is a very nice lens.....perhaps my favorite.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look up KEH, there are a fair number of FD lens for sale. The zooms lens are good but the prime lens are better.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Advice, stop purchasing cheaper lenses, purchase a single focus lens such as a 35mm made for your Canon, spend a year and then decide what else you might like. What you have is GAS and it won't make you a good photographer. Your work will only be as good as your weakest link.-Dick

Shooter
    35mm
    Why would it have to be an FD lens? I would go for an FL lens. An FL is of the same vintage as your QL body, and such lenses offer excellent performance. I used the 35/2.5 and 50/1.8, and was impressed with the results. Also, the manual stop-down feature on an FL lens is quite useful. Many do not like it, but I actually prefer being able to manually stop-down. It takes a bit of vibration out of your exposure. Once you are used to doing it, it will become second nature. I also suggest that, unless you truly need speed, avoid fast lenses. They almost always contain some type of compromise (usually in the area of distortion). I usually go no lower (faster) than f/1.8. Likewise, avoid zooms and become familiar with the various aspects of a single focal length.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 06-29-2010 at 09:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin