Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,890   Online: 984

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Film Cameras costing as much as they did 2 yrs ago

For people interested in using film cameras the supply of properly working ones keeps dropping. The better mechanical ones are not falling as much in price as the electronic ones because mechanical cameras can probably be kept going longer. I like using an FE or FE2 but at some point they will stop working and I will use mechanical Nikkormats instead.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Any product will have its bottoming-out price. Maybe that's the one for the F5.

I bought it new when it came out...a helluva lot more than a few hundred, let me assure you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For starters, the Amazon marketplace is generally overpriced for second hand photo equpiment, at least in the UK. For example, they have EOS 3 bodies for £250 on right now. I bought mine for £67 on ebay and the usual closing price is £90-100. Camera shops like mifsuds will sell you one for £150, including a few months warranty.

Also, the depriciation of film equipment jumped when digital first showed up. Everyone started selling their film cameras. Prices dropped and dropped and dropped until pretty much everyone sold their film camera and got a digital one. The trade nowadays is mainly between film users which kind of stabilises the prices.

Also, as said, the top level cameras have kept their value while everything below them has tumbled to pennies. For example, F5 and EOS 1V bodies go for £250-500 depending on condition. The next one down, F100 and EOS 3 bodies go for £100. The next one down, F80/whatever and EOS 30 go for £50. The next one down goes for £30. So it is a bit of a game of diminishing returns. If someone is buying a film camera they'll most likely go for the top of the range. If you want to save some money go for the nex down. Anything below and it is not really worth!

If you really want another F5 have a look at camera shops instead of Amazon. There are a few F5 bodies in places like mifsuds or ffordes for less than £300. Grays in London has one for £285 with a year's (!!!) warranty.
    Last edited by film_man; 06-30-2010 at 04:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Have/had Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    Grays in London has one for £285 with a year's (!!!) warranty.
    If you need the camera as a professional tool where "break-downs" are unacceptable such as weddings then Grays' are worth a look. It generally charges more but prides itself on top class fully inspected merchandise, Remember Grays' lives or dies by Nikon so needs to protect its reputation. A year's warranty which I think extends to 18 months if you are a member of the Nikon Owners Club may be worth the extra price which makes the price above very attractive.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Always a pleasant experience to deal with Grays' also.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Always a pleasant experience to deal with Grays' also.
    I've bought lots of items from Grays over the years and have nothing but praise for them. They're not necessarily the cheapest dealer in town, but they do stock some lovely mint condition cameras & lenses and you do receive a good service.
    Carl.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suspect one reason the F5 has not dropped in price in comparison to other models of film cameras could be that it can operate the newest Nikon lens features, e.g. the G and VR.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    it seems like the market bottomed out about a year ago. I got my f5 at that time from keh for US$280! now its over 400 there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When Russia (or Iran or Al Qaida or whoever) explodes their secret electronics killing Electro-Magnetic-Pulse weapon in the stratosphere, we'll be the only ones able to photograph the aftermath. All those digital cameras will be fried. Of course, we won't be able to share our stuff on APUG anymore...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually feel like film is going through a phase like a butterfly. The butterfly film once was died for time when digital became totaly dominant but a new catipillar was born and is going through a cacoon currently where the older generation, being like the catipiller is dying off and leaving us and a butterfly of young people shall come out bringing film back to glory. I have seen many very young people actually picking up analog gear recently. Many of them actually have this understood opinion that film is always better but digital is just what people shoot today. They seem to say that film is amazing quality....I don't know....Kind of interesting....I have noticed film gear prices also remaining stable....
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin