Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,976   Online: 965

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I started buying Hasselblad lenses three years ago the prices were still slowly dropping. Once I got my four lenses the prices started to rise. The cost of the SWCs and XPANs started moving up first and faster. I bought my SWC last summer and the prices have continued to rise. I have about all the Hasselblad equipment of which I would get reasonable or good use so now I am looking at LF in hopes the LF prices do not start rising soon.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The high end film cameras will retain their value and probably will go up from now on since there is no substitution and they are cheap compared to the alternative digital cameras that replaced them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ted, the F5 was, according to some, the last great Nikon SLR. Their next offering certainly created a lot of buzz but not as much enthusiasm from F5 users as one might expect, for various reasons. I recall being at B&H and inquiring about prices of various models, about a year or so after the F6 came out, and the prices for the F5 were still very high and actually went up after the F6 was introduced.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think there will be a period of a few years where prices for cameras like F5/1V bodies, XPans, Contax 645s and other such high end electronic stuff will remain stable and then they might actually start increasing as the ones in circulation will start dying and nobody will be able to repair them.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Sheppard View Post
    The ONLY advancing market in analog photography is the Wedding and Portrait segment.
    Interesting, so do you know if this is driven by workflow, technical advantages, cost, or simply just a bunch of Jose Villa wannabes?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Interesting, so do you know if this is driven by workflow, technical advantages, cost, or simply just a bunch of Jose Villa wannabes?
    If you read the wedding/portrait forums, blogs, etc, you will see that the trend in the last two years was fancy off-camera flash, this year it is tilt-shift and using a Contax 645, next year who knows, maybe LF and glass plates.

Not that it is a bad thing!
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    35mm
    It's noticeable that on ebay (the UK site) the less advanced, in relevant terms, Canon EOS bodies such as the 100, 300, 500 etc can be picked up for almost nothing. Usually just one bid for a starting price of anything from 99p to £5. But once a lens is included, then the prices realised are much higher. So it seems there is a demand for the lenses (possibly to use on Canon digital SLR's) but a big glut of unwanted bodies. Also quite a few bargain Minolta & Pentax AF SLR's too, but the Nikon AF SLR's seem to go for a bit more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Hello Mark:

I really this it is workflow and the look of film. I am sure there are a lot of people that would LOVE to have their work look like Jose's :-)

Thanks

Scott
    Scott Sheppard
    Inside Analog Photo
    http://www.insideanalogphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Ted, the F5 was, according to some, the last great Nikon SLR. Their next offering certainly created a lot of buzz but not as much enthusiasm from F5 users as one might expect, for various reasons. I recall being at B&H and inquiring about prices of various models, about a year or so after the F6 came out, and the prices for the F5 were still very high and actually went up after the F6 was introduced.
    If you read Nikon's website, they basically acknowledge that the F6 is in some ways a step backward in absolute performance from the F5. They admit that the F5 was the peak of heavy-duty high framerate-autofocus professional 35mm camera design, and that since digital was breaking into the sports/action arena, they designed F6 as a more refined camera, making it lighter and quieter especially, because they figured anyone in the future using film was going to be using it for special aesthetic reasons and would appreciate the weight and handling of the F6 over the F5.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've not looked on the 'bay for several years, but this thread made me curious. I believe I bought most of my Minolta manual focus (MD) lenses in 2006/2007; now in 2010 in the aftermath (we hope) of one of the worst recessions in history, prices are higher. Weird. A quick check of closed auctions showed that all the most sought-after lenses are now wildly expensive and the decent lenses are all higher in price than 3-4 years ago.

In my acquisition phase I often purchased more than one of a particular lens so I could keep the best of them. It may be time to off-load the spares. Hmm, then I'd have more money to buy other goodies . . .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin