Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,925   Posts: 1,585,027   Online: 991

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Minolta nutswingers

Yes you, I'm talking to you!

I have thought about making the jump just to add one to the collection to shoot with.

I know diddly-squat about their product lineup except the Maxxums were the bomb.

I am torn between these

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/pho/1818288544.html

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/pho/1817549507.html

a 7xi

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/pho/1816657231.html

and this local find which i am on the verge of driving down on a lunch break and snatching up. QTsi

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/pho/1811915038.html

Which to get and what should I look for....also the pawn shop up the street has one too not sure of the model.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It all depends on how much you want to spend. If you are looking for an Auto Focus Minolta, you really cannot go much past the Maxxum/Dynax 7 or 5. This was the last of the Minolta Film SLR's and is compatible with modern SSM lenses (the ones with the focus motor in the lens, not the camera), but will also take the older style AF lenses. A body only 7 will go for between $150 to $200.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I recently bought a Maxxum 5 and I have to say it's an amazing piece of work. It's like a digital that shoots film and the metering is amazing

Shooter
    35mm
    You might also consider a 800si which can be had for far less than the 7. It has the most powerful built-in flash, autofocuses quickly, and is much more robust than the 7. It's also heavy. One of the great things about it is the hotshoe. It can use the older 5400 series flashes which do NOT work with digital cameras. Practically the same functionality of the later 5600 flash, but 1/3 the price or less.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Of the cameras you listed, I'd avoid the QTsi - very little in the way of control and the kit lens it came with was not one of Minolta's better efforts. It was more a light, small P&S with interchangeable lenses. The 7xi was a great camera; I used one as my main body for 15-16 years. The controls take some time to learn. The 28-105xi zoom was decent; a bit heavy, and the autozoom feature was weird at first. Didn't catch on and was dropped a few years later.

Of the "si" cameras I liked the XTsi best; the focusing was enhanced over the "xi" series somewhat. Same outstanding metering system. Can't remember much about the 600si other than it had more manual controls like dials rather than push buttons; probably a nice body, though. The lens offered with the 600si you showed would put me off, but I'm not big on massive 3rd party zooms.

As to the Minolta 50, I believe it was pretty low quality, as was its kit lens.

I played with a Maxxum 5 and agree it would be a wonderful choice.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used a 7xi for a number of years and like it a lot but it does go through batteries more quickly than other models I've had. I still have two bodies but they're now backups to an 800si, which is pretty much my dream 35mm camera. I never liked, don't use and don't own Minolta's motorized lenses but other Minolta lenses are excellent to superb. A 7xi, 700si or 800si would all be excellent cameras for a lot less than the newer 5 and 7 models. I think I paid $40 for the last 7xi I bought on the 'bay, $68 for the 800si.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm happy that you are getting the answers you need, however I'm a little aprehensive of the title. This isn't the frat house or a locker room, and there are women and young'uns that read these threads. I think in the future please be a little less trashy in the heading.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Does it have to be an autofocus model?

I have an XE-7 and that thing is SWEET. I think the only thing quieter than an XE-7 is a camera with a leaf shutter. Film advance is dead silent, silky smooth, and the shutter/mirror is very quiet for an SLR. Shutter's actually a Leitz / Minolta collaboration, from back when that actually meant something.

Full info viewfinder (sans film speed) through little optical windows that show the aperture and shutter speed. Pretty cool.

Little window right above the exposure counter that tells you if the film is properly loaded in a tactful way (little red square). Yeah, I've had to use it....

Aperture priority for the decisive moments.

Hell of a camera for the mid-70s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking of XE7, I have one (& some other manual-focus minolta stuff like lenses, etc.) I'd let go for a good price. Seems to work fine. Minor brassing. Feel free to email/PM

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, J-Dogg;

I really hope this does not mean that you are already losing your interest in the Nikkormat FT. She will be crushed.

The Minolta 600Si with the Tokina zoom lens is not a bad deal for the quoted price of only $40. In the "third party lens manufacturer" category, Tokina really is pretty good. The company was started by a small group of optical engineers who left Nikon. They have been right in there with Kino Precision and Komine. Together these guys made some pretty good lenses that were sold under the Vivitar name including some Series 1 models. My personal preference is for the Minolta Maxxum 600Si. I agree that the QTi is not the best choice among those offered to you. Again, if this camera is in at all reasonable condition, you will not be unhappy with your $40 purchase. It will be worth having the camera sent in for a CLA for that price. Yes, the CLA probably will be more expensive than the camera. Look at www.garryscamera.com

There is also a Minolta Maxxum 300Si around here somewhere, but it is not used very often. If I want to do something with a Minolta AF lens, I will get out the Maxxum 9.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin