Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,038   Online: 1127

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F2 question

Hey everyboby,

I wanted to ask a question about the Nikon F2. Is this a good camera? I know only what I've read about it on various sites like mir.com, and others.

The reason I'm asking is, a neighbor of my parents has one he's wanting to sell that regrettably has no lens(it was stored separate from the body for reasons he can't remember, and got ruined). He's not sure what he wants to ask for just the body, and I'm not wanting to gip him by any means.

He said it worked the last time he used it, but it's been years according to him. I haven't had a chance to look at it, as he had to go out of town for the next two weeks.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Edward

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cokin View Post

Is this a good camera?
    Edward
    Question is not "is it a good" - question should be: is it the best nikon ever made? And answer is: some say yes, some no. But in top 5 of all nikons for sure

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a Nikon F2. The mechanical quality is almost bulletproof so as long as the lightmeter still working you'll be safe. And like all F series Nikon it has beautiful viewfinder, you'll love it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It'd be number three for me, right behind the F3HP MD4 and the original F F36 (not used the 4 or 5). Used to have a F2, very solid camera, I just didn't like the feel of it compared to the other two I mentioned. There are a lot of folks that would say it's the best Nikon built.

A better question might be what kinda shape is ithis one in?

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cokin View Post
    Hey everyboby,

I wanted to ask a question about the Nikon F2. Is this a good camera? I know only what I've read about it on various sites like mir.com, and others.
    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Edward
    I own an F2. I've owned F2's continuously since about 1979. All I can say is I've never had a problem with any of the F2 or F2A bodies I've had. They are rock solid cameras, they are easily cleaned since they can be completely taken apart and blown out with air. The motor drive system was well engineered and can be added later if desired but the weight is quite the issue - if you want a motor I would recommend the F3HP and MD4 instead.

The viewfinder shows 100% as some folks mentioned. It's the improved version of the Nikon F, and Nikon did a lot of R&D to build something better than the F. Heavy, solid camera... It's the last 35MM SLR I will ever need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As stated, they are great cameras, and can use an enormous number of lenses. It most likely still works, though you'll want to check if the meter battery leaked if it's still in the camera. Even if it is working, it would be best to get a CLA before putting it to any serious use however. For pricing look at KEH's prices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be carefull with the Prism. Most likely needs a CLA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In an as-is state, I wouldn't pay more than $50.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Condition, condition, condition. One of the greatest camera if working correctly. Maybe worth fixing if needed, depending on initial cost, clean, lube, and repair cost. Plenty of first class lens at reasonable prices available.

If someone lives near you that is a Nikon F user, perhaps they can evaluate it with you.

Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use KEH as a pricing guide keeping in mind they do have a mark up in their prices.
    The other thing mentioned is whether or not the meter works. They do have a tendency to fail over time.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin