Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,119   Online: 909

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    With regard to the SRT series: too bad these beautiful cameras take mercury batteries. I know that it is possible to convert them to common 1.5-v types, but I just do not want to deal with the hassle of finding someone I trust to do this, and the time and cost involved in the process. I am so glad the XE-7 takes non-banned cells.
    SRT series cameras (and others using the now-unavailable mercury batteries,) can also use Wein cells, which around here anyway are pretty easily available at camera shops (those few left,) and battery stores. As previously noted, there are also adapters which allow use of common alkaline batteries. And even if you find yourself temporarily without a battery, the camera still works fine: the battery just powers the light meter.

The problem is that the SRT series cameras are still fantastic picture taking machines. Once you start using them, these little battery annoyances just sort of fade into the background.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

Great lens. Great camera. That's the setup I keep on mine for walking around. It's not the cult 58mm, f/1.2, but it is the lens that made me fall in love with Rokkor glass. Bought an XK about 10 years ago (a little more now...) and it came with the 58mm, f/1.4 on it. The bokeh was so creamy and the warmth so unique, it blew me away. I'd only used modern (80's era) Minolta lenses prior to this and the Rokkor was astounding. Gave my snapshots an artsy feel.

Enjoy!

Jeff M
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    SRT series cameras (and others using the now-unavailable mercury batteries,) can also use Wein cells,
    . . . .
    As previously noted, there are also adapters which allow use of common alkaline batteries. And even if you find yourself temporarily without a battery, the camera still works fine: the battery just powers the light meter.
    . . . .
    Mike
    Good morning, Mike;

Yes, the Wein cells do work quite well, and they have a fairly stable voltage right around 1.35 VDC; that is what the circuit was designed to use. The only real criticism I have heard is their relatively short life. Some do report longer life with them if they put a new piece of tape over the little hole to keep air out when they put the camera away.

The common alkaline batteries may not be a good choice. Their voltage is constantly changing as they discharge and the voltage goes over a wide range doing that. The light meter keeps changing while the battery is doing that. A better choice here is the Silver-oxide battery such as the SR-44. It has a higher voltage, but its discharge curve is almost as flat as the old 1.35 VDC Mercury Cells, but the AgO cells are 1.50 to 1.55 VDC, until they hit the knee, and then they go down very quickly. This constant voltage thing really is not a bad thing. The Schottky Barrier Diode in the MR-9 battery adapter provides just enough voltage drop with the AgO battery so that the camera light meter happily thinks it has a PX13 or PX625 in it again.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another option for the SRT is to use a silver oxide cell but fit a schottky diode in series wiith the cell connection internally.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I appreciate all of the commentary. I had a Rokkor 58/1.4 years ago, but parted with it. I did not use it much, and so I am not very familiar with its performance. I am thinking of getting another Rokkor 58/1.4. Is this a thoriated design (i.e. radioactive)? I do not think it is, but I would like to verify this.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 07-09-2010 at 11:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi FilmOnly,

I remember as a youngster reading about thoriated lenses, and referring to a few Canon,
    and Yashica lenses. But that was way back in 1978, so the memory could be slightly faded.

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the 58/1.4 is not thoriated.
    Marty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The XE-7, Is a sturdy beast, and a remarkable instrument.
    Way back in 1977, I went to Manhattan with $300.00 dollars to buy some used equipment.
    Thinking that I would come home with 1 camera and 50mm lens, a wide angle,
    and maybe a Vivitar 135mm. Big mistake, I encountered an XE-7 body,
    and was amazed by it.
    Although the body only was $250.00 at that time. But I had to have it.
    It took another two months before I scraped up enough to buy a lens,
    got lucky with the 58mm 1.2 for $150.00 !
    And a few more weeks before I had enough saved again to buy a few rolls of Kodachrome 25 !!!

Unfortunately, I destroyed the lens a few weeks later on a camping trip.
    But the XE-7 Is still alive and kicking, and I am still amazed by it !
    It has never needed to be serviced, and it's still a thing of beauty,
    and is still my favourite camera.
    I'm going back to Manhattan next week to find a Minolta Rokkor X 58mm 1.2 .
    I've missed the damn thing for all these years, it's about time for a replacement.

If Only I Had A Couple More Rolls Of Kodachrome 25 ...
    Don't it always seem to go. That you don't know what you've got. Till it's gone ... Very Sad, Indeed.

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York, and the
    Long Island @ Large Format Group, right here on APUG
    Last edited by M.A.Longmore; 07-09-2010 at 10:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    35mm
    What a story, Ron. I am a native New Yorker (now exiled), and I know exactly what you mean. I have been to Manahattan numerous times, and was always amazed by the camera shops, especially the smaller ones. Back in 1977, I was a little boy. In the late 70s, I would read the large print ads in the Post and Daily News. I would be blown away by the full page ads with all of the best in 35mm gear...never got one then, but I have five nice 35mm cameras today. Indeed, the XE-7 is one of the greats. Too bad it does not take a winder. Enjoy the City...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There Is The XK Motor, just saying ...

Enjoy The Weekend !

Ron

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin