Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,814   Online: 720

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta XE-7 Comments and Questions

I recently purchased a Minolta XE-7 that is in beautiful condition. After having owned and used many cameras, this camera is near or at the top. I am surprised how good its viewfinder is. Overall, for a camera that was introuced in 1975, it seems quite advanced. It is very well crafted, and handles nicely. The shutter is the quietest I have heard. Currently, the only Minolta lens I have is the MC 50/1.4 (third generation version).

I have read that the MC 50/1.4 is an excellent lens. How good is it up close--at two feet or even closer?

Also, does the mirror lock up when the self timer is used?

So far, I am really enjoying this camera.

RMD

Shooter
    35mm
    You can download the user manual at http://www.butkus.org/chinon/minolta...nolta_ex-1.htm

A lens review can be found at http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Lens%20Reviews.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I feel the same way about my Canon EF, it's the smoothest quietest FD camera I own , they don't come any better than this, and mine was made in 1973.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    I recently purchased a Minolta XE-7 that is in beautiful condition. - - - Currently, the only Minolta lens I have is the MC 50/1.4 (third generation version).

I have read that the MC 50/1.4 is an excellent lens. How good is it up close--at two feet or even closer?

Also, does the mirror lock up when the self timer is used?

- - - -
    Good morning, FilmOnly;

Yes, the XE-7 with the electronic controlled shutter is nice. Yes, it is also quiet. A nice camera.

The MC ROKKOR 1:1.4 f=50mm is a good lens. It will focus down to just under 18 inches, but you might like the results better if you get a reversing ring and turn it around, especially if you want to go closer. For more serious macro work, look at the MC MACRO ROKKOR 1:3.5 f=50mm lens. That one will down to about 9 inches and a full 1:1. If you need to go closer, look at the AUTO BELLOWS ROKKOR 1:4 f=100mm bellows lens.

No, the mirror does not go into a Mirror Lock Up mode if you set the self timer. I do not think that any of the Minolta cameras from the XE series and onward had an MLU. They did bring it back on a couple of models of the AF cameras. If you need that feature, go back to the SR-T series or the SR-7. Many of them, but not all even in the same model designation, had the rotating MLU control on the side of the lens mount just below the shutter speed dial. The SR-T 102 is one model where it may or it may not have the MLU. Look at the camera lens mount on the side.

One point of the XE-7 are the batteries. The camera does require batteries to work. There are two (2) and you will run them down if you leave the camera on when putting it away. Turn the camera OFF when it is not being used, and you will enjoy normal camera battery life.
    Last edited by Ralph Javins; 07-05-2010 at 10:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The good news is that bulb and flash-sync speeds (1/60 or 1/90 IIRC?) work without batteries in, but with the power switch to "on". Great for extra-long exposures - and something I couldn't do with my Canon AE-1s.

Love the XE-7. Fantastic camera.

The 50/1.4 will only be unsharp close up due to focusing error (I notice that often when people have a fast lens, they feel the need to do ultra-macros wide open and have way less DOF than would be desired - I used to do it too), it's a great lens at all apertures and lengths.

The XE-7 shares it's chassis and many components with the Leica R3 and they are the quietest SLR shutters anywhere. One thing to check carefully is the automatic function. While my XE7 and XK still work perfectly, my R3 is erratic on auto(only auto), and this is a shared mechanism between the Leicas and Minoltas. It also seems related to lack of use and is not worth repairing
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    35mm
    I do not need MLU (at this time, at least); I was just wondering about it, and that is why I asked about the self timer.

I am glad to hear the good news about the close-up performance of the 50/1.4...and I am not surprised to hear it. I appreciate the tip in regard to turning off the camera. I had been wondering about whether or not there is an auto-shut-off in the circuit.

I have never owned or used an R3, but I did have an R4s briefly. I did not not this camera's viewfinder. It has the same obstruction (a blacked out panel for the shutter speeds) on the right as the XD-11. I would have bought an XD-11 years ago were is not for this problematic design. I often see the XD-11 touted as Minolta's best, but for me it is the XE-7. The only fault I could find with the XE-7 is that is does not accept a winder or motor.

With regard to the SRT series: too bad these beautiful cameras take mercury batteries. I know that it is possible to convert them to common 1.5-v types, but I just do not want to deal with the hassle of finding someone I trust to do this, and the time and cost involved in the process. I am so glad the XE-7 takes non-banned cells.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 07-05-2010 at 03:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the XE-1 which is the European version in chrome and black rather than all black. It has become one of my favourites.

Steve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xe-1.jpg  
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 07-06-2010 at 02:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are a few of us around. I have an XE-1 as well. Still learning how to use it. At least I have discovered that the meter is out by 1 stop exactly!

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    With regard to the SRT series: too bad these beautiful cameras take mercury batteries. I know that it is possible to convert them to common 1.5-v types, but I just do not want to deal with the hassle of finding someone I trust to do this, and the time and cost involved in the process.
    Just buy an adaptor with diode, place an SR44 inside and you are there.
    OTOH with meters this old it is always a good idea to have them checked and adjusted (which could be directly done for a silver cell).
    Regards,
    Andreas

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin