Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,139   Online: 982

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    Great camera! If I got an AF Nikon again, it would be this camera. The battery grip (MB-15) is nice and gives you the option of using dedicated rechargeable batteries, plus vertical controls. Definitely download a manual. A suggestion - put in fresh batteries, then before you put any film in, test the shutter by firing the camera at all shutter speeds from one second to about 1/250th. You should be able to hear the difference in the length of the shutter speeds in this range (if it all sounds the same, something is wrong). Also, again before loading the camera, check that the lens stops down by repeatedly shooting with the aperture set to the various f-stops from f/1.8 all the way through f/22. Then do the same thing with a roll of film, trying various combinations. You want visual, auditory, and on-film confirmation that the mechanics are working.

Shooter
    35mm
    LikeVedmak I found the the "Zone System for 35mm Photographers" by Carson Graves to be a very readable book and it will tell you a lot in a simple way. Can be bought secondhand quite cheaply.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, thanks for all the helpful and welcoming responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post
    BTW ; What's your real name, and age ?
    I'm not feeling the love with your userID.
    I'm actually a undergrad studying in California (but currently in Massachusetts for the summer).

hahahaa, yeah, I usually hate creating usernames so I just typed the first thing that popped into my mind.

So I've downloaded and looked over the user manual and I think I have a basic understanding of the camera now. I will also be going to a library to check out some of the books that you guys have mentioned.

As for the film, the more I look into the different types of film rolls, the more I'm uncertain as to which type of film I should get or where I should get them from. Can anyone recommend me a affordable but OK quality film? I was thinking of buying bulk, maybe from amazon?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film: Are you thinking prints or slides? Black and White or Colour?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film:
    First of all there are no bad choices.
    Black & white Kodak Tri-X or Ilford HP5+
    Color print Kodak NC 400 [Normal Color]
    Color slides ... Im not current enough to suggest one over another. See line 2.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your responses!

I more interested in the color roll films. I'm not sure if there specific types of films (I know there's transparency film...but I'm only looking for the regular film roll).

Is Fujifilm Superia X-TRA 400 color film rolls good for landscape/cityscape photography?

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by staphkills View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the helpful and welcoming responses!

I'm actually a undergrad studying in California (but currently in Massachusetts for the summer).

As for the film, the more I look into the different types of film rolls, the more I'm uncertain as to which type of film I should get or where I should get them from. Can anyone recommend me a affordable but OK quality film? I was thinking of buying bulk, maybe from amazon?
    Do look into the film choices from freestylephoto.biz instead of Amazon - especially if you from LA you could just pick up whatever you want from their store. Depending on how much you plan on shooting, bulk loading can be more economical (after the initial fixed cost of the loader itself).

You can google to learn more about the characteristics of the different films. I don't have much experience to comment about color, but there are tons of options for black & white.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice camera, the F100. I've one and it's not nearly as tough as you'd think to figure out. First off, forget all the other books, etc. writen by the so-called experts. They're really good devices designed to separate you from your money and don't offer anything that isn't covered in the owner's manual. You don't need to use AF lenses either. I regularly use mine with old manual focus lenses, and it works just fine thank you.
    Frank Schifano

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin