Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,931   Online: 1093

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

OM-2 problem. Any ideas?

Today when I pressed the shutter release on my Oly OM-2, the mirror went up and then nothing. So mirror is stuck in up position. I have tried switching lens, pressing all buttons etc but no luck.
    Is there anything I should try on my own before proceeding to plan b which would be finding a new old camera.
    Any help is highly appreciated!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you tryed a new battery?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you try replacing the batteries. OM-2 relies on them for shutter as well as meter.
    Also, when you put new batteries in you must turn the selector switch to check/reset to place the mirror back into the operating position, then you should be able to use the camera.
    Last edited by Rick A; 07-13-2010 at 09:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked up an OM 2 last year and it did that on my first roll of film. I just played with the switch and it cleared up the problem temporarily. Mine also had a sticky meter. My local camera repairman wouldn't work on it - said it was typical OM 2 problems. So I sent mine to John Hermanson (an APUG member) who runs Camtech Photo Services in New York. It seems to be as good as new now. His website is www.zuiko.com. Others here have recommended him.

I suspect you are just due for a thorough CLA. You may be able to find someone closer.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm RF
    besides trying the new battery, see if the battery contacts need cleaning from corrosion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I received my OM2 it did the mirror stuck up thing. New silver oxide batteries and the reset sequence and all has been fine ever since.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, thanks everybody. It didn┤t occur to me that the shutter is reliant on the battery. New battery will be tried out as soon as I can get one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    To reset the mirror, set the shutter ring to B by pressing the little button at the bottom of the lens mount. Then wind twice. Sometimes new fresh silver batteries will help or the camera may work intermittently and need service.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remember SILVER OXIDE (SR44's) only!
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    35mm
    If it's a plain 2, turn shutter speed dial to B to reset the shutter. If it's a 2N, do that or push meter switch up to check/reset position to reset shutter. Then use fresh silver oxide batteries (357, 303, SR44W, G-13, MS76, KS76). No alkaline, no lithium. If you get no constant red battery check LED, something is wrong. If you get constant red BC, and you still get shutter lock, your camera needs work. John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin