Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,814   Online: 1019

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I expect the origin of this is historical - probably related to something about the configuration of the original Leica cameras.
    If I'm not mistaken, the earliest Leicas were bottom-loaders. Certainly my FED 2 (a Leica clone) is a bottom-loader. Bottom-loaders require extra-long leaders, since otherwise the film can jam up while loading -- or so I've read. Thinking about it in my head, my guess is that it would either tend to get jammed into the top of the shutter area or it would foul on the top of the sprocket wheel near the take-up spool. In either case, I can imagine the film tearing, and then when you went to advance it, the torn bits could work their way all over the place, making it a mess to fix.

That's just speculation, though; I can't say I've ever tried loading a leader-less roll into my FED 2, much less taken it apart afterward to figure out what went wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Left handed camera systems

Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    . . . .

My neighbour is an engineer and asked me around Easter this year, while manhandling 'Brutus', if left-handed people have difficulty with cameras made predominantly for right-handed folk. What-ho. Well, do they?
    Good morning, Poisson du Jour;

I have heard complaints from "lefties" on this topic. One cure I could offer to them was to mount on the camera a flash grip with a cable release in it. Then they could work the cable release with their left hand and focus with the right. Sunpak and Vivitar had very nice ones available. They did not seem to feel there was any problem with advancing the film with their right hand. Yes, it did add a bit of bulk and weight to the system, but it did work with their predominant hand. It also added a "professional look" to the system.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A very LONG time ago when I bulk loaded film there were two types of film lead cutters, each with two metal flaps that folded over the film so a razor blade could be run over them to cut the tongue, a long one and a short one. I think the long one was for Leica cameras.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Exakta cameras don't need a leader cut for loading. I can also use 2 cartridges, one full and one empty, then cut the film in camera with the built in knife. Unload the exposed cartridge and then spool the unused one to continue shooting. Great for different exposure conditions. Of course the standard cut leaders work as well with the regular take up spool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade D View Post
    My Exakta cameras don't need a leader cut for loading. I can also use 2 cartridges, one full and one empty, then cut the film in camera with the built in knife. Unload the exposed cartridge and then spool the unused one to continue shooting. Great for different exposure conditions. Of course the standard cut leaders work as well with the regular take up spool.
    Exakta's were also built for people in their right mind!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My Canon FN-100 bulk back actually allows straight-cut film to be inserted in the spools. Which is a huge advantage over the previous 250-exposure back, which required the tongue, which required the spool to be turned around the right way when loading and assembling it into the cartridge. No big deal on the takeup side in the light, but a huge pain in the butt doing all that in the dark on the inside end when loading the feed spools!

I keep meaning to buy one of those little guillotine tongue cutters for my bulk loading efforts, but meanwhile after hundreds of them in my life I've gotten pretty good at freehand cutting it with scissors.

Duncan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yeknom02 View Post
    I was wondering why 35mm film has a tapered leader.
    "Because ..."
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When film was very expensive, 35mm cassettes came with paper leader with all of the film stored in the cassette. Sometimes there were instructions on the leader. The leader was tapered for easy insertion of the tongue into the take up spool. When they began using the film as leader, I assume that they kept it tapered for 2 reasons. 1 was that cameras were already built that way and 2 was that it was a tiny economy measure. Remember that the leading taper creates two leading tapers when punched out for 2 rolls of film. So, the cut is 2 tapers at one punch and you have 2 rolls ready to spool.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    My neighbour is an engineer and asked me around Easter this year, while manhandling 'Brutus', if left-handed people have difficulty with cameras made predominantly for right-handed folk. What-ho. Well, do they?
    Lefties might like the Kiev 6C, which has a shutter release on the left side. That is, if they don't mind the bulk or weight of the MF SLR, and if they don't mind the "creative" Soviet quality control. Incidentally, the next model in the line, the Kiev 60, moved the shutter release to the right side.

As a right-handed person who has a Kiev 6C, I can say that the shutter release on the left is awkward and weird. I'm not sure if that's because it's on the left and I'm right-handed or if it's because it's on the left but all my other cameras have shutter releases on the right side.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    So, the cut is 2 tapers at one punch and you have 2 rolls ready to spool.
    PE
    Aha! That answers something that has been in the back of my mind for years, i.e. when is the numbering/info imprinted on the film. That would be sometime at or after this point, so the numbering can be in the right orientation because the 2nd taper film has to be flipped 180 degrees before it is spooled on a cassette.

So there would be different machine setups of numbering imprinting for 100' bulk rolls, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin