Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,009   Online: 845

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Need Help in Deciding About a Minolta XD11/XD7

I just love my XE-7, but I would like to have a Minolta body that offers a winder or motor. I have enjoyed using the XG-M, but would prefer a camera with a metal shutter. Thus, the XK and XD would seem to be my choices. The XK seems a bit bulky. Thus, I am considering an XD11/XD7. I have my eye on a fairly reasonably priced XD example. I have mixed feelings about an XD11/XD7 because of its viewfinder: it has a black panel (for the shutter speed) that creeps into the field of view. I sold two Pentax ZX-Ms because I did not like not being able to easily discern what is in the blacked-out area. Please let me know what you think in regard to this subject (especially those who are XD11/XD7 users).

Shooter
    35mm
    You have mixed desires here. You require a lightweight body and metal shutter, and the XD-11/7 are the only Minolta bodies that have that. They do not offer 100% viewfinder coverage so there will be some portion of the image you can not see when you take a picture. I own the XD-11 and several other Minolta bodies but none of the MD mount cameras have 100% viewfinders. If you want to see more of what's behind the side displays, try a Canon AE-1, non-program. You can see the aperture needle and behind it because it's on a transparent piece of plastic.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi FilmOnly,

I Also Love My XE-7, it's been with me 33 years, but in the 80' I thought
    I needed a lighter body, metal shutter, auto-winder also. So, I jumped on the XG-9 when it first came out thinking that the winder would set me free. Then I pounced on the XD-11 thinking it was the ultimate piece of Minolta machinery. I was very dissatified with both cameras, I sold the XD and gave away the XG.
    But, luckily I kept the winder, I eventually bought an X-700 but being so accustomed to the size and weight of the XE-7, it felt a bit flimsy. So I attached the winder to give it a bit more substance. I hardly ever use the winder though,
    I haven't put batteries in it since 1995, it's just makes it easier for
    me to handle the X-700. When I was younger, I thought that I needed a motor drive, 400mm lens, then a 500mm Mirror Lens. It sure looked real pretty, but they never served a real photographic purpose,

I am still loving the XE-7, and it's soulmate the MD Rokkor-X 85mm F1.7 !
    The X-700 gets a little lovin' every once in awhile, with the Series 1, 70-210.

I am still dreaming about the XK Motor.
    As APUG Subscriber, Christopher Walrath so eloquently stated :
    “ Welcome Back To Gear-Humping-Related Herniation. “

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York, and the
    Long Island @ Large Format Group, right here on APUG

Shooter
    35mm
    Different strokes for different folks. I love the XD-11, and one of the reasons is the bright viewfinder which makes the XD-11 one of the easiest-to-focus cameras I've tried. But I also like having all the exposure information displayed so I need not take my eye away from the viewfinder when changing settings. I generally don't miss the "lost" portion of the frame, and when that is a critical element for me I just use a professional body from a different system.

I think you need to decide whether compact/less expensive is more important to you than the viewfinder issue. Good luck finding a reasonable cost XK, though. The X-700 is another option, of course, though I don't think it shows any higher percentage of the frame than the XD's. It's motor drive is quite nice and it also offers the TTL flash both the XE and XD lack . . .

Rgds,
    Cork

Edit: for what it's worth, I believe both the XE and XD cameras show the same percentage of the frame in the finder - 94%. Magnification is slightly higher in the XD, I think: 87% vs. 84% for the XE with 50mm lenses. Thus you would be giving up nothing in terms of viewfinder image with the XD series. cv
    Last edited by Cork; 07-15-2010 at 03:32 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Additional information

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hear the Maxxum 5 is very nice...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am not looking for a 100% finder. I am looking for an unobstructed finder. The XD11's finder has a black bulge (with shutter speeds) that blocks out part of the field of view. People often misunderstand what I mean by this, and so I want to make sure I am clear on this point. To me, a 92% or 94% finder is good enough, as there is always some cropping in processing. I do not want a finder that unnecessarily (and foolishly) blocks out part of my picture. I will never understand why certain camera designs include an obstructed field of view. It does not make any sense, as exposure information can be easily displayed on the left, right, bottom, or top panel (as is the case with many cameras), without having to block out part of the field of view.

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't buy an XD. You won't be happy with it, and the slight incursion into the fov will bother you every time you use the camera. Look for an XK instead.

Shooter
    35mm
    Cork: I think you are right. I wish the price of an XK were more reasonable.

I gather the XK has a match needle display? This is the display I prefer.
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 07-16-2010 at 09:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    You said the XK was to heavy, bulky, fine. You said you wanted a metal shutter, also fine. You said you wanted a camera that wasn't bulky and had a metal shutter and an unobstructed (my bad, thinking you meant 100%) viewfinder and uses Minolta MD lenses. It does not exist. Like I said, try looking through a Canon AE-1 and tell me what you think of that approach.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    The original AE finder for the XK was match-needle; I've never seen one of the later (more desirable) AE-S finders, so I can't comment on it. There might be some info on the Rokkor Files site, and I think the Photography in Malaysia site had some good info on the XK. If I recall correctly, the AE finder used the same meter as the SRT's, and the AE-S moved to the more responsive and accurate silicon meter of the XD. However, I'm certainly no expert so a bit of research prior to purchase would be in order. cv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin