Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,720   Posts: 1,670,078   Online: 868

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iso1600 film?

Shooter
    35mm

iso1600 film?

I'll be doing some night events using both film and digital. The last time I did a night event I used Fujifilm iso1600 (I forget which type) and wasn't so thrilled with the results. Any suggestions? I'll be working at about F2, 1/125, 50mm handheld, no flash.

If I do decide to use a flash, (Minolta 5400HS), iso100 should be fine, shouldn't it?

FYI, here's a sample of what I'll be doing: http://ablyth.photoshelter.com/image/I0000p6M4QAroiwE
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You will be able to expose your subj fine with ISO100 film and flash, but the ambient light will be very limited in what you get get. Some images may look like a person floating on a black background. Try Delta3200. Not color, but it gets you the speed you need and can be pushed well.

ALl the best.
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Question is what is it about the fast film that you don't like? Using a slow with flash will not help. All you'll get are subjects in a black hole.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    The fastest film I've shot in color is Fuji 800 press. If you use a flash with it you'll get close to what you want. That will give you some ambient light at least. But the flash needs to be TTL to balance fill. It won't look as good as that photo though, that was probably shot digital @ 3200 iso or better.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. That photo is mine, at iso1600 (on digital). What I'm hoping for this year is smoother, less grain, and less noise... but going black and white film and making it intentionally grainy is the other way to go Much prefer grain than noise anyway.
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    35mm
    If we are talking colour neg only then the Fuji 1600 is the fastest I know of but it can be quite grainy even at 10x8 inches print size. At least one person here on APUG believes that the Fuji Pro 800 can be pushed to 1600 with less grain and just as good colour balance than the 1600. He/they may respond.

If you want to try B&W and an EI of 1600 is sufficient then Fuji Neopan might fit the bill. From what I have read D3200's true speed is inherently faster than Fuji 1600( neither has a true box speed as stated) but that's not to say that Fuji won't look as good at 1600 as D3200 downrated to 1600.

You may prefer the look of Fuji Neopan 1600. I suspect that as you are in Japan you will certainly prefer its price compared to imported D3200 :

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's a shot with Neopan 1600. I like the look and feel. It's kind of smooth and grainy at the same time:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not 1/60th?

You could then use Portra 800 or Fuji 800z. I've never used the Fuji variant, but Portra is amazing IMHO. I shot this whole set with Portra 800... http://www.flickr.com/photos/ceholmb...7623168651497/

Granted, I had f/1.2 though

Shooter
    Multi Format
    totalmotard, that is a good example. Makes me want to try it out. If I may ask, what developer did you use?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, I used a local camera store called Creve Coeur Camera. $6 to develop, $3 to put on disk. I'm not ready to do my own developing yet. Here's another with a bit more light:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin