Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,436   Online: 986

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For my 35mm I literally take it everywhere with me, or keep it at home. I have a Tim-buk-2 messenger bag, and there's a replacement Domke (IIRC) insert that happens to fit these bags perfectly, with room to spare.

So I can take 3 lenses, my camera and all filters with me and it's not much to carry honestly.

I'd never like to leave film in a car, though the condensation wouldn't be a problem if you put it in an zip-lock... same with cameras probably. A little fogging maybe, but if it's hot enough to be a problem, that condensation will evaporate pretty quick once out of the cooler.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another plus in using an old beer cooler is that thieves will usually ignore it but they will grab the fancy camera case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

That's A Cool Way To Travel !

Quote Originally Posted by T42 View Post
    I recall reading about how that Ansel Adams thought that it was unwise for camera cases to be black. He did an experiment in which he painted one white. Comparing it to a black one, he found that the white one heated up much more slowly than the black one.

Taking the camera with you is probably a better idea yet.

I definitely need to remember to paint my camera box white.
    And a nice touch would be to use a bit of Velcro, or adhesive to attach
    a thermometer inside the lid. I only keep the 4X5, and accessories in there.
    Never any film, I use a small lunch cooler for the film.
    Whenever I'm at the Post Office I take a few of the large Priority Mail
    ( the large Tyvek ) envelopes. I use one for storing unexposed film, and holders, and another for exposed material, they both get sealed with tape.
    And everything gets sandwiched between some slightly dampened towels.
    Remember to turn the envelopes inside out. Not sure if it's a Federal Offense
    to misuse Government property. It's bad enough to be harrassed for taking
    pictures, no need to be a total criminal and be caught with the envelopes
    being mistreated. The envelopes are extremely durable, they are waterproof, they might even be bulletproof !!!

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York, and the
    Long Island @ Large Format Group, right here on APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just remember... The US Postal Service is a private company which has an exclusive contract to provide service to the US government.

While it is a crime to tamper with the mail, it is not a federal offense to take an unused envelope from the post office, especially when those envelopes are offered for people when using the post office's services.

It would be no more a crime to use a Tyvek envelope from Fed-Ex.

If you took one or two envelopes, I don't think anybody would care. If you took a whole stack of them, somebody might call you on it.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the update Randy.
    I use a few for film storage, and a couple in the big box in case I ever get caught in the rain.
    They provide perfect protection for the 4X5, or anything else that needs to be kept dry.
    Unfortunately, I feel like I need to be on my best behavior when I'm out taking pictures.
    People look at you kinda strange if you aren't using a DigiSnapper.
    Must be the ad campaign : If you see something, say something.
    That gets people jittery, they see something strange, so it must be terrorism.

P.S. : If you see a guy in the bushes, near the Bronx River Parkway on Saturday.
    With an XE-7, and an 85mm 1.7, Don't Be Scared, It's Only Me.

Ron

From The Long Island Of New York, and the
    Long Island @ Large Format Group, right here on APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a short time, say 2 or 3 hours, I would use a cooler or ice chest. No ice or ice packs are needed. The temperature rise in a hot car should not be very much if its a decent insulated ice chest. The concern with using ice packs would be the humidity and perhaps condensation.

I would not leave this camera/ice chest in a hot car all day. Either travel light or have a companion to baby/camera sit with the windows open is the best alternative.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

6x9

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm going to start using a cooler with some desiccant. I live on a tropical island so humidity is an issue.
    For years, my Pentax LXs just got tossed into the back seat at the mercy of the 39° C weather and my son. So far so good though. But I will definitely start using a white cooler.
    I have changed my password and changed my email to a random email. This is forum seppuku. Good bye!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I carry film and camera with me (especially film) rather than leaving them in a hot car...unless it will only be for five or ten minutes. It's a hassle, but it is part of the price you pay for the innumerable benefits of being a film photographer.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Inner soft-sided cooler bag holds the camera and film, but no ice or ice packs.

Inner soft-sided cooler bag is then placed inside another, larger cooler. If it is very hot outside, ice packs are placed inside the outer bag.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    I may try keeping the camera in a zip lock bag to prevent fogging.
    stick some silica gel (not loose - it makes fine dust- wrap it in something which breaths) in the ziplock. As alternate, wrap dry rice in paper towels, taped securely shut, and change often. I did this in summertime southern Japan (read: Very Humid) when photographing Shikoku back in the 80's- worked great.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin