Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,983   Online: 831

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Silica gel is a wonderful idea. Where can you get it, other than in the tiny packets that come with new cameras and lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I purchased a large quantity of silica packets,
    a very reasonable price from Username : ZBidisin on eBay.
    He is located in Pennsylvania, I'm from NY, so the low shipping
    cost also makes for a pleasant transaction. I am ready to purchase some
    more packets in a few weeks, any other suggestions for alternate sources
    would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I may leave film in a cooler in the car but never my cameras. I'm not so worried about the heat. I'm worried about thieves.

Shooter
    35mm
    I put film in a cooler, but I don't use any ice. The film never gets hot, but OTO I wouldn't want my film to be cool when I open it in a hot environment. So in a cooler, no ice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about a 12 volt electric cooler/warmer unit from an RV supply(or auto parts)I believe they have a thermostat to control temps. That way you could set the temps to cool but not so cold as to create condensation.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film, in its own airtight plastic box, goes in the cooler. With the beer and/or wine.
    Cold beer and/or wine = cool film!
    New film, which I usually collect on bike/train in the Big Smoke, gets stuffed into a small fold-away cool-bag for the trip home, Camelbak-class.

Camera travels 'as-is' in the car: no special protection. I take the cameras with me whenever I've stopped and the car is not in my line of sight.

Methinks that up north where you Americans are, it is very blazing hot and stuffy at this time. Downunder is getting a blast of cool air and rain. Nice for rainforests...
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 07-17-2010 at 11:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Put the cooler with the camera and the film in the trunk not the front. The trunk doesn't heat up very much compared to the front of the car. You can minimize that heating by opening the windows in the front some to let heat out. If you want to use a cooling pack in the cooler, you can keep it from chilling as much by putting a layer of towels over the cool packs below the camera gear. There will still be a cooling effect. Play around with it. I've gone on many vacations with the camera and film in the trunk. No problems.

The camera isn't as available this way as if you have it up front with you while driving, but it'll be ready to go and nobody knows it's there.

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you buy indicator silica gel, it is reusable; you just wave it or bake in regular oven to drive out the accumulated moisture, when dry, it changes color - when wet again, it changes color, to so indicate.

I personally and from long experience shooting in hot humid environs (e.g., Shikoku) think that putting anything cold or cool in a cooler w/ film or camera is a bad idea unless it is in its' own double bagged ziplock with silica in the outer bag ; condensation is a killer!
    Last edited by tac; 07-20-2010 at 08:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a dark-colored car and the interior gets very hot on a sunny day. However, if I put equipment in a picnic cooler and place it deep in the trunk under the back window deck, the cooler interior never gets hot enough to damage equipment and film. Also, there is a very significant temperature gradient between the floor of the car and the "upper elevations": the floor under a seat is a much better make-shift storage spot than the glove-box. I have also wrapped equipment in aluminized "space blankets" to reflect heat in situations when it is out in the sun.

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It seems counter-intuitive, but I can attest that simply placing items on the car floor under a couple blankets will keep items cool for quite a few hours, assuming the car interior is cool to begin with.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin