Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,601   Online: 1100

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In all these years never a problem with Fuji 800 color print fim.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Did a trip from Toronto to Calgary and back... Velvia, Velvia 100 and Pan F. No problem at all through the scanners.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin is correct - those scanners are a surprise to many international visitors.

I've simply put my film in a clear plastic bag and they've been happy to let it go through on the trolley rather than being scanned. They aren't scanning for terrorist threats, they're scanning for quarantined/banned/dutiable items - and film is the least of their worries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, Kodak has a publication that talks about this. It is available for download from their Website.

In short, modern carry-on scanners are fine, but checked baggage scanners can harm film.

Additionally, the data sheet for Maco IR820 (infrared film now sold as Efke IR820) devotes a bit of space to this issue (and to processing in plastic tanks). It is worth a read.

In short, it is safer to scan your 35mm IR film with a carry on x-ray machine than it is to bring it out in the light. (The film is not affected by multiple passes through a carry on machine, but the light traps on the cassettes are not IR tight, so fogging can result if they are not kept in total darkness.) Additionally, processing the film in plastic tanks works fine.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-19-2010 at 10:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bump!
    I know this is a hoary old chestnut in terms of content but I thought rather than waffle on I'd let folks see what a severely zapped film looks like.
    The film is Delta 400 and was compulsorily placed in checked baggage when leaving Heathrow in 2006 due to a security scare at the time (the Shoe Bomber, if I recall correctly).
    This is the proof sheet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X-Rays001.jpg  
    Last edited by Leigh Youdale; 08-23-2010 at 09:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Youdale View Post
    Bump!
    I know this is a hoary old chestnut in terms of content but I thought rather than waffle on I'd let folks see what a severely zapped film looks like.
    The film is Delta 400 and was compulsorily placed in checked baggage when leaving Heathrow in 2006 due to a security scare at the time (the Shoe Bomber, if I recall correctly).
    This is the proof sheet.
    Leigh:

Can I respectfully suggest that you start a new thread in the Miscellaneous forum, title it something like "Example - X-ray damage from Airport checked baggage scanner", and attach this attachment to the first post?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Done.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow...good thread, I didn't know there was a difference between carry on and checked baggage scanners...

Do those little bags they sell that are supposed to be X-ray proof work on all types of xray scanners?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
    Wow...good thread, I didn't know there was a difference between carry on and checked baggage scanners...

Do those little bags they sell that are supposed to be X-ray proof work on all types of xray scanners?
    The bags are essentially useless.

If the scanner operator sees an opaque item on his/her screen, they either:
    a) pull the item and inspect it manually or,
    b) turn up the scanner intensity until they can see through the bag (in which case your film will be ruined).

Guess which alternative is most likely!

A properly adjusted carry-on baggage scanner should be fine for most films.

The checked baggage scanners are usually set to much lower power levels.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I went through Oakland airport this weekend with some film I really didn't want messed up (shots of family I may not see again, pictures of my sisters wedding, etc). All 400 speed film but some shot at 1600.

I asked for a hand scan of a dozen rolls in a bag, no questions or complaints at all. Granted, it was a slow time for them, but I was still surprised at how painless it was. How frequently have people had trouble with getting hand scans?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin