Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,546   Online: 1132

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    I've flown with film quite a bit and only once have I had a problem getting film hand inspected, leaving Buenos Aires for the states about 3 years ago. Aside from that no problems flying to and from Central America and around the states. There have been a few times leaving Oakland and SFO when I was bringing a lot of film along and still got no complaints about a hand inspection even though it was relatively busy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leigh... that's the BEST example of CT damaged film I think I've ever seen!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Leigh... that's the BEST example of CT damaged film I think I've ever seen!
    Well, I wish I'd never seen it. Main shots were of Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire, and it's a long way from here to go back for a re-shoot!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The bags are essentially useless.

If the scanner operator sees an opaque item on his/her screen, they either:
    a) pull the item and inspect it manually or,
    b) turn up the scanner intensity until they can see through the bag (in which case your film will be ruined).

Guess which alternative is most likely!
    A properly adjusted carry-on baggage scanner should be fine for most films.
    The checked baggage scanners are usually set to much lower power levels.
    I'm not sure if (b) isn't an urban myth. Certainly at Sydney airport the operators tell me they can't adjust the machine's intensity - government agents come from time to time to test and calibrate the machines but the operators don't get involved. What I have seen however is that on seeing the black shape of the lead bag on their screen they reverse the conveyor, several times if so desired, until they are satisfied. If they're not you'll be asked to empty the bag anyway and with luck you might get a hand inspection at that point. Probably better to start off with the clear plastic bag idea!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Certainly at Sydney airport the operators tell me they can't adjust the machine's intensity
    That aspect has been discussed in some of the existing threads on x-rays. Apparently that is the case, the operators can turn up the gain, but the x-ray dose remains the same. But as you point out, they can run the bag through again and again, or else stop the belt and study things.

I put my film in a plastic bag, separated from the camera case and send everything through (thank you David Goldfarb). On the last trip the camera bag got put through twice, the camera had film loaded, but all was fine.

Years ago, I tried one of the x-ray bags once. It went in, they stopped the belt and studied things for a while, then sent it through. Just on the basis of time, I decided it wasn't worth it. Per Murphy's law, at some point the bag will invoke a full hand inspection when you have 5 minutes to make a flight from a gate that's the farthest from security.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Per Murphy's law, at some point the bag will invoke a full hand inspection when you have 5 minutes to make a flight from a gate that's the farthest from security.
    Which means, of course, that you should have planned to arrive at the airport sooner!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which means, of course, that you should have planned to arrive at the airport sooner!
    Certainly, but plans and wishes don't always = reality.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin