Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,738   Posts: 1,515,533   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

35mm and the airport security

Planned on traveling again soon and was wondering, film can't be exposed to xrays right.......what happens when I go through security with a few rolls of FujiFilm Superia?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film slower than ISO 1600 will not be affected by a trip or two through the carry-on X-ray scanner. I've taken 100 speed film through the scanner 8 times, partly out of curiosity, and it was not affected. If you are concerned, ask to have the film/bag hand-checked.

Film should not be put on checked luggage; those scanners are far stronger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film slower than ISO 1600 will not be affected by a trip or two through the carry-on X-ray scanner. I've taken 100 speed film through the scanner 8 times, partly out of curiosity, and it was not affected. If you are concerned, ask to have the film/bag hand-checked.

Film should not be put on checked luggage; those scanners are far stronger.

Exactly what he said. I've had hundreds of rolls of film (including a few as high as 1600, although most at 100-400) make multiple (8-15) passes through airport and other types of security scanners on trips and they were all fine. But if you can get the film hand-checked, do so (depends where you are travelling though).
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    35mm
    Film is safe to put through carry-on xrays, but don't put it in checked baggage, because the xrays they use to scan checked baggage are stronger.

I always put my film through the xray scanner when I fly and never had any trouble. It's far safer IMO to send it through the scanner than to risk getting a hand-inspection.
    f/22 and be there.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    one thing that can be helpful and the security people appreciate this as well. place your film in a clear zip lock bag, remove from boxes etc. that way they can see the rolls easily. Also, i found it in my best interest to wait until the line is not so long so they have more time(of course this can be a problem depending on the size of the airport and the time of the year)
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Depending on where in the world you are, one thing you need to be very cautious of is the Xray scanners which we have in my city (Melbourne, Australia) when you come through international arrivals, after you actually clear immigration and customs, as they are the same ones your checked baggage goes through, and they will try to make you put your carry-on baggage through it, and that will zap your film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll be in the States, heading to Vegas and San Francisco again, this time with a ton of film and maybe a digi.

I usually leave wicked early in the morning, no later than 6am. Orlando International Airport security is kind of lax and I went through it last time in a minute mostly because I wore flip flops.

If you ever want a good laugh walk around the airport in Detroit in flip-flops in February.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I looked, but thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just completed a domestic U.S. trip. I put the film in a baggy and put it through separately from the camera case, plus a roll was in the camera each time.
    Coming back, they put the camera bag through a second time. The two rolls I've shot and processed were fine, one Ektar and one Portra, and the Portra was loaded in the camera when it did two rounds.
    One airport was using the full-body scanner, so no more slipping 120 rolls into your pockets (they have you remove everything from your pockets, including ID and boarding pass.)

As Art says, put it through the machine and quite worrying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin