Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,672   Posts: 1,481,813   Online: 1173

Shooter
    35mm

yay! Just got a new camera (my oldest yet!) for free form a friend...

So a friend and I were talking the other day...and he's into photography too (shoots Nikon digital, and wants to get some Nikon film stuff...EF or whatever, I don't know Nikons)...anyways, I told him how much I love rangefinders...he told me he hates them. So we got into a bit of a friendly discussion about the pros/cons of rangefinders...and all of the sudden he says "You know...I have some old rangefinder someone gave me a long time ago collecting dust...you can have it."

So...he gave me a GORGEOUS 1954 Voigtlander Vito B!! It's been dropped once so there's a dent on one corner, but other than that it functions as new (everything is tight and precise) and there are no scratches, etc...

He also gave me some cool little selenium light meter (hand held, since the Vito B didn't have any sort of meter) and 4 rolls of most likely expired film, including a roll of Ilford B&W 400 ASA that'll be going into my AE-1P as soon as I'm finished with the film in there!!

Anyways...I'll put up pics of the Voigtlander tomorrow...I love it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had several Voigtlanders - and they always seem to have a dent in the corner. Not sure whether they dent easily or are just very 'droppable'... Anyway, great little cameras. I keep mine in my car's glove box as my 'just in case' camera. No batteries or anything to worry about - it just sits there for whenever I need a camera.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice one - The Vito B was the first 'old' camera I got and it is still one of my favourites. Apart from iffy slow speeds (the 1/2 sec is longer than the 1 sec!) it has proven very reliable and a great travel camera (no batteries and very compact but tough). A keeper and the poor mans Leica I think.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Vito B and it is one of my favourites too. Compact but weighs twice as much as you think it is going to the first time you pick it up.

These can be picked up fairly cheaply on e-bay as many sellers are not aware that they need a film in place to cock the shutter and sell them as not working.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    I have had several Voigtlanders - and they always seem to have a dent in the corner. Not sure whether they dent easily or are just very 'droppable'...
    A lot of the early Voigtlanders did NOT have provisions for a strap so you were almost forced to purchase a case ....

Francis in VT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I have several old voigtlanders including a vito b, always proved very reliable and with the color skoper lens they are all very capable performers,Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the comments everyone...I just started shooting with it! Can't wait to see what the results will look like I really like using it...tons of fun

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    I have had several Voigtlanders - and they always seem to have a dent in the corner. Not sure whether they dent easily or are just very 'droppable'... Anyway, great little cameras. I keep mine in my car's glove box as my 'just in case' camera. No batteries or anything to worry about - it just sits there for whenever I need a camera.
    A friend of mine has a Vito and it is certainly heavy and sturdy enough to drive nails. Could that be the cause of the mysterious corner dents?
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin